Some sick chickens and some even sicker prices.

• 23 Replies

Vember

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 21:21 »
What bothers me is what happens to the hens that don't get sold, ye a lucky few will find people willing to pay the ott prices and will know how to look after  love & nurture them as I and many others on here have(although I didn't pay ott & doubt peple here have).
 But we can't help them all, makes me want to cry :(

Am I making any sence???? It's just horrid there's no need for it ARGHHHHH can't express what I'm trying to say properly

Poor Creatures  :cry:

peggyprice

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 09:39 »
I think we all know what you mean, Vember, and share your frustration...anger...upset ...
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 16:40 »
surprisingly, ive been to a lot of places that breed and sell chickens. :shock:

not one has been what i would consider clean or putting the welfare of the animals first.

some are downright disgusting, but there doesnt appear to be any system in place, to ensure that defra's 5 freedoms are adherred to...... yet

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 23:41 »
The 5 freedoms are RSPCA Babe, and if these places aren't visited at all, then no one knows what they look like until they appear on a TV programme!!!!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 08:12 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
The 5 freedoms are RSPCA Babe, and if these places aren't visited at all, then no one knows what they look like until they appear on a TV programme!!!!

i think we need people working for the RSPCA like they have in america then

they dont take any cr*p and take action there and then. they seem to have more power to stop cruelty and bad conditions.

but i guess it all comes down to money and resources. such a shame

Ruby Red

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 14:03 »
Come on babe this is Engalnd after all. You would have a 5 page risk assessment to see if there would be any danger to the correct authorities if they were to knock on the door. Then another 5 pages to see if it was against their culture/religion/sexuality/gender.(delete where applicable).Then you would have to see if it did actually contravene their yuman rites taking the hens away. Only then would anything be done about it. The people would be offered councilling, given a slap on the wrist and released to inflict whatever on whatever all over again. Rather like that prat of a judge who decided the horses and ponies and donkeys that had been rescued from a trader down south, (remember him, he used to get his amusement from driving his quad bike at them) could go back to him as it hadnt been properly proved that he had intended to inflict cruelty. AAARRGHHHHH
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 19:29 »
I have seen a lot worse than this with inspectors present, to be honest by these pictures i cant really see much of a problem.
I would say there are different standards between people who keep a couple of chickens in a fancy coop at the bottom of the garden and name them! and between people who keep poultry and waterfowl on a larger scale.
The only pictures i would find disturbing are the ones that kimt posted of the white hen and cock in the cage. When birds a grouped together in cages they tend to peck each other or in some cases as with guinea fowl or ducks cause injury by jumping in the cage.
These birds arnt being kept in these conditions all the time just while they are being sold.
I would say that the authorities are aware and have checked previously and if there were problems they would of acted on them

PJM

Same at Melton Mowbray
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 07:50 »
I had to go down to Melton Mowbray last Tuesday to replenish my Red Mite powder stocks, and saw that the Market was on. I decided to have a browse round, and wished I hadn't, again loads of crates and wire cages with far too many birds crammed in with no food or water. And old men just throwing these crates into the back of 4x4s and vans with no thought for the poor chickens and ducks. So all these places must be the same then. I cetainly won't be going back in a hurry :evil:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 21:14 »
Did the Thirsk Poulrty Market get shut down? doesn't appear to be on anymore and this is the 2nd time I have read about the RSPCA being called there... shocking pictures those are

xx
Prices for chickens?

Started by Danielle280 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 10:14
by Aunt Sally
xx
Sick Chickens

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 17:18
by Aunt Sally
xx
Help... Chickens sick...

Started by not my chickens but on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 21:56
by Vember
xx
Chickens being sick

Started by Honey on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 00:27
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 28 queries.