Broad bean Aquadulce Claudia - lost the lot (twice!!)

• 16 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Lost all my Beans planted in November (previous post) re planted seed 6 weeks ago this time under a cloche - checked on Sunday, not a sign.  Is this a case of second time unlucky!
HELP please!!!!  -  What am I doing wrong? :(

gillie

Re: Broad bean Aquadulce Claudia - lost the lot (twice!!)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:22 »
Did mice get them?

Gillie

noshed

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 12:27 »
Have you had a dig around to see if the seeds are still there?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 12:31 »
No sign of Mice - No sign of the bean seed either - They were all coated seed.

Thanks Gillie - (not so greenhead)

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 13:02 »

Greenhead, I always start my BB off in modules inside (conservatory or cold greenhouse), currently have 120 Sutton on the go, but did same with aquadulce and two other types last year. Easy to transplant when a few inches high, gives obvious rows, get no gaps, no mice losses and you can ferret around in modules and see whats happening if impatient!! Mine are only just showing from a sowing 'bout 3 weeks ago...'tis still cold!!

Get some more going!!

Phill :)

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 13:15 »
hmm might try this.  Would a cold frame be OK.  I lost all of mine in November too :-(

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 13:36 »

Definitely try this. Germinate in a cool place, then harden off outside, plant when a few inches tall. All works for me, prob do 4 rows or so this year...now onto the peas..

(which incidentally, I'll probably do the same with, in case mice get 'em!!)

Go for it!1

Phill  :)

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 14:05 »
I have started them off in pots before, but last year they were sown directly in the ground and produced stronger plants and better yields - why! don't know.  So for the third time do I use Claudia or a Spring variety.  Just to mention lottie soil is heavy clay with plenty of spent mushroom compost dug in last year. :(

not-so-greenhead.

diggerjoe

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 14:05 »
I had to check mine after mice had helped themselves to peas and sweet peas  :nowink: and I replaced them but the ones they did not have I had a look at and they do have a root but so, so slow by now they would have been almost ready to go out. I have resorted to chitting a load now I suppose I'll have loads. The green house has only been managing 10 degrees on average so I would imagine they are reluctant to show themselves.

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 14:15 »
I started mine off inside in Autumn, indoors in a cool place. Lost a few to mice within a week or two, so protected what remained with plastic semi-opaque milk bottles with the base & top part of the neck cut off. Seems to have done the trick - have used this to protect the replacement beans I put in last week - also started off indoors.

If it's not mice digging up the bean, I understand that pheasants also pull up the shoots sometimes.

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 14:21 »
I have started them off in pots before, but last year they were sown directly in the ground and produced stronger plants and better yields - why! don't know.  So for the third time do I use Claudia or a Spring variety.  Just to mention lottie soil is heavy clay with plenty of spent mushroom compost dug in last year. :(

not-so-greenhead.

I would go for a spring variety if I were you but I have heard of Aquadulce going in in the spring. Witkiem Manita are a tasty old variety and Sutton Dwarf are heavy croppers that can give you two flushes of flowers (and therefore pods). I lost about a third to a half of my Aquadulce and will now plant spring BBs directly into the gaps where they didn't show or died - gives a longer cropping period from the same patch. Better to bring them on in paper pots first if you have the time.
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 20:41 »
My experience is very similar this year. I lost around 70% of my aqadulce that were sown in the autumn and have filled/am filling the resultant gaps with other beans (galaxy) sown in cardboard tubes, germinated in a cold greenhouse then planted out as and when the weather allows.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

Fisherman

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 21:15 »
Due to past failures I always sow broad beans in 3 or 4 inch pots in early to mid March in a cold greenhouse or cold frame. Before they get pot bound they are hardened off for a week to 10 days and then planted out. Crop results are always reliable and almost as early as Autumn planted seed although last year they were bothered with chocolate spot.

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 23:20 »
I always start my BB off mid feb. I tip the whole pack in a self-seal bag with some moist compost and put in the airing cupboard, as soon as the look as they've sprouted ( a few days) I then tip these out and plant all the sprouted beans in 3" pots - the ones that have not germinated I chuck away...  grow on in a cool greenhouse.  Works every time...
Death OR Cake ???

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 01:36 »
lost my first lot (october sowing) to the weather and a mouse had my greenhouse-started replacements... I'd just cracked them then put them out at about 1" tall... there must have been a fair amount of bean left cos they ripped them all out.... got another lot just startinmg to show in the rootrainers now.....

chrisc

xx
Broad Bean - Aquadulce Claudia - lost the lot

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 23:32
by cooperman
xx
Broad Bean 'Aquadulce Claudia'

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 11:41
by Lardman
xx
Broad Bean 'Aquadulce Claudia'

Started by Bing on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 18:41
by Bing
xx
Can you plant Aquadulce Claudia broad beans in the Spring?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2009, 23:11
by noshed

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 33 queries.