Broad Bean 'Aquadulce Claudia'

• 7 Replies

MalcW

« on: June 20, 2014, 09:41 »
Hi all.

I planted these as an over-wintering broad bean. They've been very successful and I'd like to use them again this year. So, more newbie questions:

Can I use the same bed, or do I need to plant them elsewhere?

Since they're not an F1 I assume I can use some of this year's beans. If so, what do I need to do to them between now and planting?

Thanks.

Lardman

Re: Broad Bean 'Aquadulce Claudia'
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:47 »
You're supposed to rotate to stop a build up of pests / deceases but the old bloke next door to me grew his bean, both runner and broad in the same spot every year for well over a decade.

If you want to use this years seeds (and there's no reason not to) you need to allow them to mature fully on the plant and then just sow them. Those you are picking to eat will still be immature  ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 14:10 »
Might have been you, Lardman, who mentioned this in another post earlier, as I didn't know you could do this, so am planning a pea/bean permanent framework for next year.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Robster

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 06:49 »
Some people on our allotment seem to have some beans in the same spot year after year with no ill effects.  This is especially the case with runners, and I don't suppose broadies would be any different. 

I've always rotated.  I suppose because thats what the books say and its now a habit.  I try to follow my beans with brassicas

lettice

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 07:16 »
I've grown broad beans in the same plot for years.
I cut them down to about 6 inches after they have finished and then after a month remove the roots.
In the autumn I dig the soil over well and make a few trenches that I put winter veg kitchen cuttings into over the winter.
In early spring I dig again and this time add compost I've made and then in spring transplant plants to this plot grown in the greenhouse.
I do not suffer from any problems and grow them next to rows of runner beans that I do in the same manner.
I do not suffer much from blackfly here either and the small amounts I do have can normally be washed away.
This year though I have not seen hardly any blackfly at all, so far.
Been an excellent crop this year too, probably one of the best., but then broad beans are always a very reliable and prolific crop, even if very short lived.

I make use of the area in the summer by having large pots scattered over the area growing carrots and other crops.
Was thinking this year of growing something in the soil itself, but I'm not sure as that may upset my yearly balance.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 07:35 by lettice »

beesrus

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 09:15 »
An excellent variety  and as hardy as a hardy thing.
Don't plant them too early in the Autumn, as they will cause you no end of grief if it's mild and wet like last Winter, although you will still almost certainly get a good crop. I will sow first week in November this year. They ended up far too tall over last Winter and it all encouraged the chocolate spot.

The one thing that might be a problem with the same bed is if you have had fungal conditions like chocolate spot, like I did this year big time. Advice is to burn all the post harvest vegetable matter and plant in a new spot. It can hang around apparently although it only affects broad beans, nothing else.
Apart from that, if you had a clean crop, stick to the same bed. No real reason not to.

MalcW

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 10:56 »
Hi All, thanks for all the advice.

Lardman said:
If you want to use this years seeds (and there's no reason not to) you need to allow them to mature fully on the plant and then just sow them. Those you are picking to eat will still be immature  ;)

They are almost finished, and the pods are getting soft, with some turning black. At what point should I save the beans for planting, and how should I store them between now and planting later? Thanks.

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 11:41 »
They are almost finished, and the pods are getting soft, with some turning black. At what point should I save the beans for planting, and how should I store them between now and planting later? Thanks.

Wait for the pods to become leathery on the plant, after that pod the beans and let them dry fully, put them on newspaper in the sun (but not the rain ! ) for a bit. Once fully dry you can store them in a jar or bag but they need to be dry otherwise they will end up covered in white fur - don't ask me how I know that  ::)

xx

Started by Bing on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 18:41
by Bing
xx
Broad Bean - Aquadulce Claudia - lost the lot

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 23:32
by cooperman
xx
Broad bean Aquadulce Claudia - lost the lot (twice!!)

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 15:52
by greenhead
xx
Can you plant Aquadulce Claudia broad beans in the Spring?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2009, 23:11
by noshed

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 32 queries.