My new Bee Hive:)

• 9 Replies

Guzzik

My new Bee Hive:)
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:02 »
Hello to one and all.  Well, here it is, a piccy of the new hive.  When I am putting the Veoa treatment in next week, I will take some images of the inside and the "girls" :)

Hope the image loads!!!!

John
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:08 by Guzzik »
No, that carrot is a worm mum.................

Trillium

Re: My new Bee Hive:)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 20:12 »
Nice one. Hope it all works out for you.

darren64

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 20:43 »
Is this your first year?

Guzzik

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 21:11 »
Is this your first year?

Hello.  Yes, it is :)  I got the Nuc and hive about three weeks ago.  So, no Honey for me this year as I will be leaving any made in the upper super for the girls to eat as well as giving them a suger solution from end of September.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 09:57 »
Congratulations.

I love my bees. Also my first year, I got my first colony in May and a nuc a bit later on.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Guzzik

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 12:07 »
Thank you Kate.............I am getting stick from folks for calling them my "girls"......Then I kindova peed of some blokes when I explained about the drones being dumped from the hive by the girls for being lazy gits at this time of year :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 13:03 »
I call mine the girls too. The only time I got stack was from my (male) boss who tried convincing me that the males must do some of the work in the hive. He was also a little shocked to hear the fate of the boys!

It's amazing how gender alters our perceptions. Apparently one of the great old beekeepers used to insist theat the queen must be male as it was the head of the colony despite documenting that the queen laid hundreds of eggs a day!

Guzzik

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 10:03 »
Apparently one of the great old beekeepers used to insist theat the queen must be male as it was the head of the colony despite documenting that the queen laid hundreds of eggs a day!

Yes, quite............What can one say :wacko:

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 10:19 »
Here are some videos of my Ladies busy working I have four hives only two on the videos One we make at work and the green one is a warré hive.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrKevinjp

As to what the males do in the hive is open to debate, as they are bigger we believe that they help control the temperature of the hive as well as mate queens. If you think about it if they were only to mate there would not be a requirement for so many drones in the hive. There are some good books on the subject

the honey bee democracy. Thomas D Seeley
the buzz about bees. Jürgen Tautz

I went to the first Natural beekeeping conference in August and it was fantastic and really opened up new ways of keeping bees for the bees sake rather than for what we can take from them.
Kev

Guzzik

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 23:17 »
Wonder why the workers throw the drones out at this time of year then?  Other than they are lazy gits who do nothing but eat the honey:)  I realise they are there for mating at the start of the season and I understood about them maybe being used to fan the hive to keep it cool as well.  This I was taught when I did my last bee keeping course in 1975 which was part of my gardening  apprenticeship.

xx
New Hive (Kit)

Started by Pertelotte on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 11:51
by Pertelotte
smiley
sorry I've BEEn away so long - HIVE been busy!

Started by SnooziSuzi on Pets without Feathers

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 21:59
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Warre Hive Pictures - swarm wanted

Started by Swing Swang on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post May 11, 2012, 21:57
by Swing Swang
xx
Bumble bee "Hive"

Started by Ruby Red on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 17:27
by Babstreefern

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 39 queries.