Storing carrots...

• 6 Replies

Growster...

Storing carrots...
« on: October 05, 2015, 05:47 »
Most of our carrots have been grown in plastic buckets, with a few drainage holes, and kept about 5 ft off the ground, to keep the carrot fly at bay. The system works pretty well, and we get normal carrots to pull as we need them. We have three more buckets, all sown in succession, so some carrots are bigger than others

As we'll be clearing the greenhouse soon, I'm thinking that we could just bring them inside, still in their buckets, and just leave them there, with perhaps a small amount of water to keep them happy, but not enough for them to achieve any more real growth.

It's really another way to store them, like the 'old days', in a box of peat, and I can't see why it shouldn't work, but maybe someone on the team could advise otherwise...

8doubles

Re: Storing carrots...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:14 »
I normally grow in tubs outside the greenhouse and leave them till needed. Even if the tops die back the carrots remain in good condition.
I know that prolonged heavy frosts can send the tops mushy (which the geese in the carrot fields of Lincolnshire really enjoy) so it is best to use them up before the real hard weather gets here.

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 10:51 »
I think you should be OK doing that Growster.  I grow mine in a raised bed at the allotment and harvest them all at once to avoid frost and slug damage.  I store mine in the cellar in boxes of damp sand and they do OK.   It doesn't seem much different to what you will be doing by moving your tubs into the greenhouse. 

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 14:00 »
Thank you both!

They're in Miracle-Gro compost, which must be pretty exhausted by now, so it's just 'plain compost', which I suppose does the same thing as peat or sand!

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 14:11 »
Here is a  post on the BushcraftUK forum which talks about a "sand clamp" for your carrots... http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43729&page=9&p=1063998#post1063998

Hope it is useful.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 07:52 »
Many thanks Daniel!

Sand clamps are a great idea, and in fact, we did that several years ago!

It's just that now, as the little darlings are safely asleep in their buckets, it seems a shame to wake them, and put them somewhere else..;0)

What a great website that is though - thank you!

DanielCoffey

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 13:44 »
If you liked BritishRed's presentation, he actually has a personal blog of his home renovation, gardening and lifestyle work at http://www.englishcountrylife.com/english-country-life-blog.html

He is trying to be more self-sufficient and has quite a large area under management including poultry, fruit trees and veg.

xx
Storing carrots

Started by Jules13 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post November 10, 2020, 14:42
by Aunt Sally
xx
Storing carrots

Started by daveypark on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 22:41
by Poolfield2
xx
Storing Carrots

Started by crh75 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 11:31
by crh75
xx
Storing Carrots & beetroot

Started by kitdaz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 18:26
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 37 queries.