Leaving my plants out in the greenhouse 24/7

• 10 Replies

andyw

• Experienced Member
Leaving my plants out in the greenhouse 24/7
« on: March 08, 2012, 12:13 »
I've been growing my tomatoes and peppers from seeds now for three weeks, they been in the greenhouse during the day and in the house at night.  I've bought an electric heater and wondered if if it will be ok to leave these out at night as well?  The ones that I want to leave out have all been potted up.

Many thanks
Andy

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Leaving my plants out in the greenhouse 24/7
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:41 »
You need to be able to maintain a temperature of at least 10C at night.

My greenhouse ones won't be going in there for at least another month. I too have electric heating.

Cooler temperatures won't kill them, but can "check" them, form which some plants never fully recover.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

andyw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 13:16 »
Thanks for the feedback.  I've got about 50 tomato plants of the cherry and money maker variety.  I've also got about 50 peppers.  I didn't realise how much of a pain bringing them in every would be, I can afford to lose some, I just don't want to kill them all.

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 13:28 »
Hmmm... live and learn eh? I've taken my seedlings out of the propogator where the temperature is a constant 19 degs... should I put them back in then? I have a heater in the greenhouse but just use it on the frost free setting.
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

andyw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 13:46 »
This is my first year of having a greenhouse and actually growing anything from scratch.  I'm going to keep half in the house and half in the greenhouse at night, at I won't lose everything.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 13:47 »
Hmmm... live and learn eh? I've taken my seedlings out of the propogator where the temperature is a constant 19 degs... should I put them back in then? I have a heater in the greenhouse but just use it on the frost free setting.

Frost free is not enough, (I take it we're talking tomatoes and the like again).

19C is fine, but they need ventilation and light.  If you've not done so, the lid needs to come off the propagator and stick some foil behind the plants to increase the amount of light.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 13:50 »
Thanks for the feedback.  I've got about 50 tomato plants of the cherry and money maker variety.  I've also got about 50 peppers.  I didn't realise how much of a pain bringing them in every would be, I can afford to lose some, I just don't want to kill them all.

that must be some size greenhouse you have there Andy...I thought i had a lot with 36 plants most of which will be given away to friends and family.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 13:50 »
Brilliant, thanks DD (yes still talking tomatoes). The propogator is well ventilated and already done the silver foil thing (now who did I see mention that?  :D ). Need to leave the lid on the propogator though as have other stuff germinating in there. Thanks again DD.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 13:52 »
If you leave the lid on, the plants you have will end up weak and leggy.

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 14:19 »
Hmmm, now that's a dilemma. If I take the lid off then I'll need to put my germinating seeds into plastic bags or something... which the propogator lid does the job of.

I'll bring tomato seedlings into the house at night - that should solve the problem  :)

andyw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 15:54 »
The greeenhouse is not very big at all, all the plants are in 11cm pots right now, and that is as far as some of these will go, I am planning on giving most of these away and keeping 10 plants to myself, plus some peppers.

I've had the lid off mine ever since they came through, but I had to pot up mine a week ago as as I had four seeds to a small cell.  One thing that I never did was to use foil around them, I could always try that now?

that must be some size greenhouse you have there Andy...I thought i had a lot with 36 plants most of which will be given away to friends and family.

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 35 queries.