hello all what are you plans

• 21 Replies

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Re: hello all what are you plans
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 14:02 »
I didn't get nearly as much done last year as I would have liked so I'm hoping for a better return this year.

My plans will be:
Potatoes, beetroot, turnip, swede, parsnip, jerusalem artichokes
More salad crops - and plan it better so I don't gave one glut and nothing for the rest of the year
Far more broad beans and peas and less French beans
Onions, garlic
Courgettes and pumpkins
Cabbage, kale and PSB

I might give carrots a miss as they get decimated every year by carrot fly.

I've got some permanant plantings of fruit (rhubarb, strawberries, black and red currants, gooseberry and blueberry), asparagus and globe artichokes so I'll be giving them a bit more attention this year. The strawberries always end up getting eaten so I'll rig up a fruit cage to cover them.

I'm also going to put more effort into making my own compost and fertiliser so there's going to be lots of trips to the seaside gathering seaweed and some trips to the local manure heaps. The year before last was good as I put a lot of work into feeding the soil but last year I did a lot less and it really showed.

I've also got a load of jerusalem artichokes growing at home so the plan is to sell them for seed and use the money to buy what I need on the allotment and hopefully become completely self sufficient(ish)  in veg for the year without it costing me anything.

PS I'm 32 and this will be my 4th year on the allotment. Before that I grew veg in the garden but it's just something that I've always wanted to do - even as a youngster.

10dahlia

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 14:15 »
we are hoping to have a better crops of onions than last year.any advice on best fertiliser ::

diggerjoe

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 16:02 »
This will be the first year on the plot where there isnt a area thats not been dug over. The last of the grassy mounds and weeds were cleared last october so I have bit extra space but then looking at what I would like to sow  - still not enough space :D :D think the scrubby lawn at home might be on the way out this year :nowink:

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 16:30 »
This will be my first full year on the plot - last year, i managed a small handful of tomatoes and chilli peppers, and around 3500 courgettes.

This year I have sown already some toms, aubs and peppers for the greenhouse already.

On the plot this year, I'd really like to get lots of the things we eat lots and lots of like onions, leeks, carrots and corn.

I'm going to take a punt on beetroot and fennel.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 16:36 »
I'm going to take a punt on beetroot and fennel.

Is your plot that wet?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 16:40 »
Thats terrible DD! (I love it!!!)  8)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Togalosh

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 20:10 »
Hiya,

Pickled baby cucumbers..gherkins(?) were a very nice surprise last year for such little work too... so we will be doing more of those this year.

..but apart from the fuit n veg I'm planning on building a proper shed out of pallets to replace the century box I inherited.

I'm not sure what I enjoy most the plants n digging or the building/landscaping...

xx
In need of help with my plans. Please.

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 16, 2009, 14:40
by LivvyW
xx
Bed Plans

Started by Digger Mum on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 17:40
by Digger Mum
xx
Plans for next year

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 19:44
by mkhenry
xx
Plans for 2017

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 18, 2017, 18:29
by bayleaf

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 40 queries.