Raw Milk

• 8 Replies

18Forts1999

Raw Milk
« on: November 21, 2015, 11:43 »
Hi
Picked up some Jersey Raw milk yesterday from a local farm and I am hoping that someone may be able to let me know if it is possible to make butter from this and how to do it.
Thanks

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Raw Milk
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 11:52 »
There is an article about it on the main site.  You might have to skim the cream and try that.  Being that it is Jersey milk, it may be thick enough  :)

http://www.allotment-garden.org/food/index.php

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 05:58 »
I've made butter easily from cream skimmed of the top of the milk from our local bog standard skinny cows. If you let the milk sit for a couple of days you get more cream. Then just use your mixer as if you were whipping cream and carry on past the whipped cream stage till the liquid separates from the butter. Give the butter a rinse in a couple of changes of cold water, squeeze and work in some salt to taste, a little at a time. Shape into a pat and enjoy with some fresh bread (make some with the liquid) or scones...or lovely fresh veg.....I'm dribbling here, can't make butter since we got the goats and have our own milk.

Enjoy!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 20:29 »
As above, you can make butter from rich, whole milk but easier from cream. I have been given and bought a number of small butter churns over the years but in all honesty as Tosca says, easiest with your mixer.

Know you are on a budget Tosca but the cream separator I bought has been worth its weight in gold with the goats as it is otherwise almost impossible to get cream or butter. I got a cheap one on line from the Ukraine of all places as the UK/US ones are terribly expensive and it has been fantastic. I now can make all the ice cream and butter I want!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

tosca100

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 02:41 »
I don't suppose you have a link or brand name Kate?  ;) Christmas coming and all that....

Snoop

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 11:38 »
I don't suppose you have a link or brand name Kate?  ;) Christmas coming and all that....

Ditto...

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 18:18 »
I got mine from this website:

http://cream-separator.co.uk/

They do actually ship from the Ukraine but it was still pretty quick and the quality is fine. I got the full metal body one and I have a friend with the plastic body one and they both work really well. They are bit of a labour of love to clean (but no more than an expensive one would be!). The instructions are a bit of a challenge (but then again I'm a girl - makes understanding them a bit difficult but at least I read them!).

Probably the bit of kit I use more than anything else in the kitchen and goat ice-cream is divine (and doesn't taste at all goaty!

tosca100

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 18:33 »
Thank you so much  ;)

gtdevon

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 19:21 »
I love my allotment,from my head, tomatoes

xx
Almond milk

Started by Oliveview on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post November 27, 2013, 22:30
by Madame Cholet
xx
Milk for cheese

Started by jenny53 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 21:29
by sion01
xx
Goat milk

Started by carl on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post March 07, 2013, 22:53
by Trillium
xx
Milk for making cheese

Started by millymolymandy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 11, 2008, 17:52
by millymolymandy

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 39 queries.