Winter squashes / Pumpkins

• 9 Replies

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
Winter squashes / Pumpkins
« on: March 27, 2012, 20:27 »
Last year I planted out two butternut squash plants. Unfortunately they weren't very sucessful and made lots of green growth and sprawled out eeeeeeeeverywhere but made very little in the way of fruit, one squash off each plant, then the leaves yellowed and died.

What did I do wrong? The ground had had compost from kitchen waste put in it and I tried to water them well over the summer using large bottles to get the water down deep. Also mulched round them to try to keep moisture in, unfortunately only had hay so had some weeds come up. I also got too keen and I think I cut the fruit too early. Did that stop it producing more?

I'd like to try again this year with one butternut and some pumpkin plants but dont want to make the same mistakes. Thing is, until I know what I did wrong I can't rectify them! I noticed one of the other allotment holders grew their squash onto some thick fabric and left them until the growth started dying back.

Was thinking of doing similar by using weed fabric and then straw on top and in soil that had lots of rotted down rabbit manure dug into it and feeding regularly with seaweed fertiliser.

Thanks!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Winter squashes / Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 20:43 »
butternuts are harder to grow than most of the other squash/pumpkins. They like a long hot summer to do well. You stand more of a chance with Hunter or Harrier which are bred for the UK climate but even they are not foolproof.
Last summer was not good for them as we were having a good few nights where the temperatures were down to 10C  in summer:ohmy: I only managed 1 from 2 plants.
Yet the other squashes did quite well :)

You can grow them through weed control fabric, but I find they make enough growth to stop most weeds from growing. Just feed and water well . I use tomato feed when the squashes are ripening as I think by then the manure/fertiliser in the soil is getting low.
Most importantly keep your fingers crossed for some decent weather  :nowink:

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 20:52 »
Hard to say exactly what you might have done wrong, but here's what you can do right.

I dig out a good sized planting hole and fill it with rotted manure and some BFB, then place 3 seeds around the hole. Do this for each variety you want, and for how many plants you want. Because, when they sprout, you'll decide which is the strongest sprout at each hole and snap off the other 2, so that one dominate sprout remains per hole. When it's large enough to mulch, do so because these guys are thirsty and the UK might be in drought conditions this year. And keep watering them from the bottom (never over the leaves) regularly and evenly.

High temperatures, shade, and insufficient moisture can cause pollination problems which causes a lack of fruit development so if possible, try to take care of these when deciding the planting location.

Another problem that occurs is pollination itself. These gourd plants will have both male and female flowers on the same vine, but if you're not getting many bees, there's no pollination happening, and no fruit. These plants cannot shift their own pollen, bees must carry it about for them. So if you don't have many/any bees about, plant some single flower plants like cosmos, borage, single calendulas, etc nearby to attract the bees who will also visit your gourds.  

Once you see 2 or 3 fruit per vine and they're making good growth, snip off the vine about a foot past the 2nd or 3rd fruit. That way all the energy will fatten those fruit rather than endlessly try to grow more and small fruit.

sarajane

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 20:54 »
It sounds as though you are doing everything you can but I never have managed butternuts either. They seem to need a longer time than most other squashes.  Maybe re think your variety.

I've already sown some of mine and will mollycoddle them until planted out in June -  just so I can get a longer growing season for them.  Good Luck though and keep trying

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 21:05 »
If you do start the seeds inside to extend your season, remember that like cucumbers, all squash and pumpkins detest having their roots disturbed so be very carefully when planting them out. If you're determined to grow butternuts, then starting the seeds indoors might be the answer.

I usually grow Red Kuri, aka Ichiki Kuri. It resembles a pumpkin with a pointy top and when it starts bearing, nothing slows it down. I know DD grows this variety as well. It's a variety to consider.

JohnB47

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 21:24 »
My butternut (hunter) and hoochi coochi failed miserably last year. Crown prince did better but not as good as the previous year. I put it down to the dry season and low night time temperatures. Planning to grow only crown prince this year.

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 21:40 »
Thank you all. Things to think about. I might try just one plant of butternut this year if it's that difficult, as I'm a bit more interested in doing pumpkins this year as I have some summer squash to try instead of winter.

We get lots of bees. One of the plot holders who also lives right by the plots keeps bees and I have sage, lavender and rosemary to help attract them. Is it worth trying hand pollinating?

Also (last qu, honest!) how much space is the minimum to allow for each winter plant would you say?

teabelly

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 22:04 »
My squash weren't doing anything last year until I started hand-pollinating them.

Unfortunately by then it was getting on a bit in the year and some strong winds broke the fruits off when they were 5/6 inches long  :(

I will be hand-pollinating again this year!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 22:28 »
You need about 4ft x 4ft per squash/pumpkin. You can train them round and round in a circle if you don't like them running riot  :D Just mark the middle/roots with a cane so you know where to feed and water.

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 22:41 »
Super!

xx
Pumpkins and squashes

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 11:12
by gregmcalister
xx
Pumpkins and squashes

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 12:04
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Hows your Pumpkins / squashes

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 20:42
by ruffmesiter_69
xx
Potatoes and Squashes/Pumpkins

Started by MadAboutVeg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 09:00
by Kristen

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 40 queries.