squashes

• 2 Replies

Matthew Gayles

squashes
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:56 »
I no this question has probably being asked before but ....   I grew butternut's this year, having never grown squashes or pumpkins before. I set them off in pots, nurtured them untill a good size and planted end of may/ start of june in my raised beds which had been
manured (well rotted already) in january as the beds werent built till them. I planted one quite close to a variety of other plants -  namely sprouting broccoli on one side, courgettes and climbing beans on the other. I planted the other squash in and amongst my sweetcorn.

Heres the problem, i have fed sporadically, and they produce loads of male flowers, some female flowers and they do fruit but when they are about 3 inchs long they rot from the tip down. very frustrating as their have only been 3 or 4 . I read somewhere i may have to hand pollinate which i tried to o with a small paintbrush.

Whats happened what did i do wrong????

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: squashes
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:39 »
Early rotting off of squash fruits is usually caused by lack of pollination, although in wet conditions it can start from the soggy remains of the flower which is therefore better removed as soon as it will come away easily.

Are you sure you successfully transferred pollen from the male flowers to the central part of the female flower?

Don't have any other suggestions, I'm afraid.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Pompey Spud

Re: squashes
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:41 »
I've had big probs with BNS as well and I did very well last year with them and others. Too many if not all male flowers.

Both Turks Turban, Boston Hubbard and BNS have been p poor. Whilst other squashes have done well. I did grow a diffeent variety of BNS so won't be growing it next year.

Plenty of insects in June/July to pollinate.

Another reason can be growing them too close to each other by all accounts.

Top tip for camping....don't go.

xx
squashes

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 05:04
by paintedlady
xx
Squashes gone mad!

Started by Growing4mykids on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 14:12
by Auntiemogs
xx
squashes

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 20:27
by mumofstig
xx
Squashes

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2006, 15:06
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 34 queries.