Hows your Pumpkins / squashes

• 9 Replies

ruffmesiter_69

« on: July 02, 2007, 20:51 »
Hi guys / girls,

Just wondering how your pumpkins and squashes are coping with all this wet weather. We are just seeing the first true fruits forming and beginning to swell.

How are yours doing? bigger? smaller? not planted yet? harvesting squashes?

We are also worried that the broad beans which are close to them have have chocolate spot and was wondering if this can affcted pumpkins

Also from down the plot this week, a bumper harvest of broad beans, potatoes, rhubarb, gooseberries, and raspberries. However with this rain comes the dreaded weeds and the possibility of blight.

Regards
Lottieblogs

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 21:22 »
Probably drowned  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

No point even going to the allotment after work. It's been raining cats and dogs - sad for a new gardener, I tell ya! Is it really summer time, or did I blink into autumn? After the past hour's down pour, I think even my strong, thriving pumpkin is suffering  :(
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 22:17 »
My first try at a pumpkin, and with nowhere else to put it, I've planted it in between my swetcorn, and I've got a few little pumpkins just beginning to form, but they are not as big as yours Ruffy!!!!  But as I made a big mound of old compost, it is at the moment well off the waterlogged ground!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 22:58 »
Pumpkin is surving and growing slowly at the mo, could do with some drier weather, courgettes are going bannanas, had about 8 so far and went down tonight and 4 will be ready in next couple of days.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 15:26 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
My first try at a pumpkin, and with nowhere else to put it, ...... and I've got a few little pumpkins just beginning to form,

i got very over excited when i noticed mine had fruit growing on them - as its my first time trying them too!  i think they are about the same size - i just don't want to count my chickens - just incase they go mouldy with the damp weather....

ruffmesiter_69

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 16:49 »
yeah its suprising they have fruited in this weather, need some sun now for them to thrive

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 17:04 »
my squash has been murdered by the slugs :twisted:  :cry:
the pumkin however is doing great and has just started forn=ming a pumpkin

wellingtons

My courgettes are going great guns ...
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 17:31 »
... picked a load last night, with several more ready by the weekend I hope.

The pumpkins I planted earlier on are both doing really well and I have one fruit on the Jack of All Trades about the size of a grapefruit.  

But the green squash and butternut squash I planted a couple of weeks ago are just not taking off.  They're OK, decent sized baby plants, but they haven't shot ahead like they should have done, and would have done even last year.

Oh well, there's still time.  And at least I've not got to rush up and down the plot with the watering can!

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 20:41 »
Our pumpkins have gone mad.  We've got 3 halloween sort and they have literally over taken their patch (which they are sharing with courgettes, a summer squash and sweetcorn).  They are having little pumpkins every where - should I limit them to a couple a plant?
It nice to have a success as I have just had to pull up my swedes (soft rot) cut down my tatties (blight) and tomatoes (blight)  :cry: .  

Still I'll be ok for enormous pumpkins  :roll: .

ruffmesiter_69

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 20:42 »
been down tonight, small fruits but nothing swelling yet, please some sun please

xx
Pumpkins and squashes

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 12:04
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Pumpkins and squashes

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 11:12
by gregmcalister
xx
Potatoes and Squashes/Pumpkins

Started by MadAboutVeg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 09:00
by Kristen
xx
Other crops with Squashes/Pumpkins

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 10, 2018, 14:05
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 31 queries.