Pumpkins and squashes

• 8 Replies

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
Pumpkins and squashes
« on: August 10, 2008, 15:04 »
OMG - the pumpkin plants have suddenly gone utterly crazy and there are fruit appearing all over the place. I read somewhere that I should limit them to two fruit per plant, but my allotment neighbours looked at me like I'm mad when I said that. They reckon, each plant can produce around ten pumpkins. What will happen if I just let them do their thing?

Cleo

• Experienced Member
Pumpkins and squashes
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 15:23 »
Lots of smaller pumpkins.

Only need to reduce number to get the remaining to grow bigger.

What type of pumpkin ?

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
Pumpkins and squashes
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 09:39 »
Finally foundthepacket...I have two plants of "Hundredweight" that I grew from seed, and then about four that a neighbour gave me of some sort of blue pumpkin. Not sure what kind. They all have several fruit on them - the hundredweight ones are a nice yellow and the others a dark green.
For eating, is it better to grow 'em bigger or smaller, or does it even matter? Quite honestly, one or two medium sized pumpkins is probably more than I'd buy in a season, but it'll be fun giving even little ones as gifts!!

hecateh

Pumpkins and squashes
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 13:00 »
Personally I'd rather have more smaller ones.

A bit like a kid who'd rather have 20pennies than £2 coins really.  I'm not like that with my cash but def with veggies.
Helen x

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
Pumpkins and squashes
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 13:20 »
One of my pumpkin (hundredweight) plants has 2 fruits the size of footballs, at the moment, as well as a few smaller fruit  :D  They just seemed to grow all of a sudden ... I reckon it must be all this rain!

Still nothing on the butternuts yet though, so not looking good there. Don't think I've seen any flowers on them yet!

John Wilkinson

Pumpkins and squashes
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 17:01 »
I have several varieties growing this year......musquee de provence, Rouge de vitemp and Jacko lanterns (for the kids!) The problem is I planted them all a bit close together so they have taken over a fair amount of room and have rambled all over the place and over each other! :shock:

I am going to prune them back a bit as I prefer to grow two or three really big fruits on each plant. The musquee de Provence seems to be the most successful this year but I do have a big Jack o Lantern as well.

Anyway, it's going to be a big job trying to untangle them all and I will have to be a bit careful when pruning to make sure i don't lop any vines off that have a decent fruit growing on them. I have learnt my lesson this year and will have less plants in future and will space them out a bit!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Pumpkins and squashes
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 10:10 »
Quote from: "love-my-plot"

Still nothing on the butternuts yet though, so not looking good there. Don't think I've seen any flowers on them yet!

The only time I grew these they were late producing and took over my plot, they just seem to sit there doing nothing then all of sudden went mad and took over the place.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
Pumpkins and squashes
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 01:43 »
Then I'll live in hope for another wee while  :lol:
Thanks for that info, Aidy.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Pumpkins and squashes
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:12 »
I'm growing Spellbound pumpkins this year and from three plants I've only got three pumpkins growing. Hopefully I'll get a few more but I wondered how quickly they'll grow and whether I'll still have time this year to get a decent crop. There are loads of small pumpkins that haven't been fertilised and just dropped off.

xx
Pumpkins and squashes

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 12:04
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Potatoes and Squashes/Pumpkins

Started by MadAboutVeg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 09:00
by Kristen
xx
courgettes, pumpkins, squashes

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 22:01
by gavinjconway
xx
Winter squashes / Pumpkins

Started by Schubunny on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 22:41
by Schubunny

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 32 queries.