organic slug pellets

• 4 Replies

sprinkler1

organic slug pellets
« on: April 11, 2008, 19:31 »
has anybody used these yet oganically approved?
iii

druidmerlin

Slugs
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 20:30 »
Suggest using beer bottles laid on their sides with a drop of beer in the bottom  --  very effective !  Beer bottles are better than jam jars as they stop the rain getting in and  diluting the brew. Face them away from the prevailing wet westerly wind' Tilt 'em NE and place some clumps of soil to make the necks accessible to the slugs

Can not afford beer so I have made a gallon of home made wine from 2 cartons of grapefruit juice   [ Czinano ]   1-1/2 kgs sugar brewed for 6 wks.
         As I am on Statins and must not have grapefruit I have also made some wine from Pineapple juice [ Mexican Tepachi ] for my own use

5 litre bottled water bottles make fine brewing containers -- pierce a tiny hole in the cap and stick some magic tape over as a gas release valve.

Tried the wine-brew in a jam jar last night --  3 slugs got drunk  and drowned -- very effective.

Now to recharge my bottle traps up the allotment  -- rinse out the dead slugs and dispose of them on the compost heap.

Completely harmless to birds and hedge hogs -- collar doves feed on slugs !

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Re: Slugs
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 20:32 »
Quote from: "druidmerlin"
     Completely harmless to birds and hedge hogs -- collar doves feed on slugs !

is that a proven fact? about collared doves..was thinking of shooting them if this is true i wont bother.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
organic slug pellets
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 21:58 »
I'm giving your beer bottle technique a try tonight. I already have an old dog dish attracting snails from their lair plus a few plastic bottles cut in half with the upper part inverted into the lower half. I've also sprinkled some dry porridge oats around them, watch this space! :twisted:

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
organic slug pellets
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 21:45 »
Beer bottle remains empty of slugs, as does dog's dish, they were drinking well last night but didn't drown, inverted plastic bottles have a couple of slugs and snails.
I bombarded snail lair with dry porridge oats this pm, not much movement but it's a dry night.
I've not yet tried the coffee / tea with sugar dregs.

IF I was to put slug pellets in their lair, would they die in there having eaten them or do they take a while to work?

In the compost bin they (slugs & snails) have a job to do etc  :?

xx
organic slug pellets

Started by Teabag on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 21:59
by hotterotter
xx
Best organic slug pellets

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 20, 2023, 11:34
by 8doubles
thumbdown
ORGANIC SLUG PELLETS?

Started by Lesleyk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 03, 2014, 12:10
by JayG
xx
Organic slug pellets?

Started by BabyStar on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 11:44
by BabyStar

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 38 queries.