Cardboard uses??

• 17 Replies

Goldfinger

Cardboard uses??
« on: July 08, 2010, 22:02 »
Can everyone and anyone please tell me the uses of cardboard on their allotments?

I started a new job, 7 weeks ago now and I have access to an endless supply of medium sized cardboard boxes (that will be flattened for transporting ::) )

Can they be used to 'plant through'??

Composting?

Mulching?

Any more ideas would be gratefully accepted

GF

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
Re: Cardboard uses??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 22:26 »
In moderate quantities it can be added to the compost heap.

At the end of each year I dig a trench that will be used the following year for runner beans.
I line the bottom of the trench with 3 or 4 layers of cardboard and then fill in on top of that with vegetable matter and compost and let the lot overwinter.

I have a number of bakers bread trays which I line with cardboard and then fill with compost in which I grow a variety of things like lettuces, pak choi, spring onions, leek seedlings etc.

I also shred some cardboard and use it for bedding in my wormery.

It can be used for making degradable planters for starting off plants.

Any surplus can be used to start a bonfire and then used in your compost.

Imagination and a bit of time will ensure that you use any cardboard that is available.
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 22:58 »
Most cardboard I can get hold of in winter is rolled into logs for lighting the log burner.

The ash is either added to the compost heap or sprinkled on beds as a source of potash (don't use on spuds as its slightly alkaline).

This uses the cardboard three times, its original use, heat and fertiliser.

If you don't have a real fire go with WirralWally's suggestions or the following:

A weed suppressant on uncultivated ground or around fruit bushes.

Brassica collars.

Pompey Spud

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:31 »
I use mine to fill up a bean trench in Autumn.

Dig the trench. Line with lots of cardboard. Really soak with water. Fill with veg waste/compost bin stuff. Cover.

Good for thirsty beans in a drought.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

sillysuffolk

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 09:52 »

Yes! My dad told me to dig a trench a few weeks before planting out my runner beans and layer it with plain cardboard then fill it back with soil. The idea being that the cardboard retains alot of water and runner beans are very thirsty plants. I now know that it has really helped because at the same time I planted a second lot of beans next to these ones and the ones planted in the cardboard trench are taller and bushier than the ones that are not and I haven't otherwise treated them any differently.

Goldfinger

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 19:13 »
Most cardboard I can get hold of in winter is rolled into logs for lighting the log burner.

The ash is either added to the compost heap or sprinkled on beds as a source of potash (don't use on spuds as its slightly alkaline).

This uses the cardboard three times, its original use, heat and fertiliser.

Now there's an idea...   I DO have a wood burning stove  :happy:

What / how do you recommend the best way to get a nice tight rolled log though??

Should you use a it of sticky tape?

mobilekat

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 08:52 »
Yes! My dad told me to dig a trench a few weeks before planting out my runner beans and layer it with plain cardboard then fill it back with soil. The idea being that the cardboard retains alot of water and runner beans are very thirsty plants. I now know that it has really helped because at the same time I planted a second lot of beans next to these ones and the ones planted in the cardboard trench are taller and bushier than the ones that are not and I haven't otherwise treated them any differently.

I am sure they did a gardeners world experiment years ago with sweet peas and runner beans, and found putting cardboard or shredded newspaper in the trench works really well. They said at the time it gave a light dose of nitrogen to kick start the plants, but then rotted off letting them carry on doing their own thing. I think they had the best crops from those trenches!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 09:13 »
You can plant squash/pumkins/courgettes through cardboard, it will conserve moisture (assuming the soil has any..none at the moment here ::) ) and suppress weeds  :)

greenun

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 09:29 »
Dig a small hole, light a fire in it, let it burn to hot embers. Cut one end of a carton off, (beer carton ok) poke holes in the side and push sticks through. Hang fish, from sticks with wire. Now place a small piece of hardwood on embers, pop carton over and allow to cook and smoke. Delicious. Keep an eye out for the politically correct police.

Goldfinger

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 13:03 »
Dig a small hole, light a fire in it, let it burn to hot embers. Cut one end of a carton off, (beer carton ok) poke holes in the side and push sticks through. Hang fish, from sticks with wire. Now place a small piece of hardwood on embers, pop carton over and allow to cook and smoke. Delicious. Keep an eye out for the politically correct police.

Great idea that, thanks!!  :tongue2:

Our saesonal Mackeral are in at the moment. Just need to catch them first  ??? ???

But where does the cardboard uses come in??

Anton

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 17:30 »
Where do the beans go in the trenches exactly. Because I just make a kind of wigwam with canes and then plant the runner beans plants (grown in paper pots) alongside the canes. Is the line made by the canes where the trench would be?

Anton

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 18:31 »
But where does the cardboard uses come in??

cardboard on outside of carton, and starting the fire....maybe :lol:

greenun

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 23:55 »

The cardboard carton is the smokebox - it won't burn

the cardboard

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 01:02 »
Where do the beans go in the trenches  . . .  I just make a  . .  wigwam with canes and then plant the runner beans plants . .  alongside the canes. Is the line made by the canes where the trench would be?
Dig a trench. Line with cardboard. Pile in veg matter or compost. Plant beans.

If you want beans growing in rows then dig a trench in a straight line.
If you want to grow beans up a wigwam then dig your trench wigwam shaped.
If you want to grow beans in a square then dig a square shaped trench.
You plant your beans along, and in the centre of, your trench.

Trikidiki

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 23:12 »
What / how do you recommend the best way to get a nice tight rolled log though??

Should you use a it of sticky tape?

They don't need to be too tight and yes a smal piece of sellotape or masking tape will hold them together.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 23:13 by Trikidiki »

xx
Cardboard

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 10:11
by compostqueen
xx
cardboard and more cardboard

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 28, 2011, 20:13
by Madame Cholet
xx
Cardboard under raised bed?

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 11, 2012, 09:31
by bigben
xx
Cardboard and spuds

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2013, 19:48
by Ema

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 40 queries.