Has anyone else got Peppers?

• 36 Replies

Bombers

« on: June 27, 2008, 17:39 »
Whoohoo., Iv'e got Peppers! :D  This is my first atempt at growing peppers so am feeling pretty happy,as I've grown them in the Conservatory. (not allowed a greenhouse yet! :cry: )

Question is..... For next year, Now I've got the bug,do chilli's like the same conditions as peppers, and do they need anything other than TLC???
I started these off on 1st March, (On the windowcill, naturally! :lol: with a supermarket meat tray cover on top) and slowly inroduced them to the conservatory on warm sunny days only, until temperatures started to improve.
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

fatbelly

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 17:54 »
Well Done with your peppers they look great  :D

My Peppers have got some sort of disease and are looking very sad.
I will post a piccie this weekend for advice from the forum.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Porffor

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 18:37 »
yes and they are fantastic to watch grow aren't they!! :) growing mine on my front kitchen windowsill :) 4 plants in 3 pots, but should've put them in bigger pots i think.  :oops:
Have 3 peppers and 3 mini peppers at the moment, biggest is about 2 inches long now!!! :)

Saw some in Homebase the other day and they made me want a greenhouse all the more they were HUGE!! They had about 5 plants in one massive pot and about 10 peppers on them!! Were £10 though but I was seriously tempted to be  :twisted: and tell my neighbour they were mine.. all mine! (mw-hah hah hah)  :twisted:  :twisted:  I was a good girl though and resisted :)

Big Jen

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 18:41 »
Yes - have a few small ones now and some tiny chillies.
Great photos  :lol:
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

Bombers

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 18:47 »
Quote from: "Porffor"
yes and they are fantastic to watch grow aren't they!! :) growing mine on my front kitchen windowsill :) 4 plants in 3 pots, but should've put them in bigger pots i think.  :oops:
Have 3 peppers and 3 mini peppers at the moment, biggest is about 2 inches long now!!! :)

2"!!!! :shock:  I thought mine were doing well... that's brilliant. Iv'e got 8 plants in 8" pots. I agree, that they are fascinating to watch grow. I've read that you should limit them to about 6 fruits to each plant, so I've started to remove some of the excess fruits.... I hope some expert will come along and advise me ? :?

gobs

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 19:20 »
Quote from: "srebmob"

2"!!!! :shock:  I thought mine were doing well... that's brilliant. Iv'e got 8 plants in 8" pots. I agree, that they are fascinating to watch grow. I've read that you should limit them to about 6 fruits to each plant, so I've started to remove some of the excess fruits.... I hope some expert will come along and advise me ? :?

First of all, well done! It's great isn't it? :D  I was tempted to harvest a couple today, but resisted.

About limiting to six, I don't grow them in pots, but am seriously inclined to say: stop wasting and ruining your harvest. :wink: Thin fruit out once some are edible and start with those. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Porffor

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 20:58 »
:) Sounds like good advice. :) they are so cute as mini peppers but am waiting to see if I can get a full grown one.. and this from a woman that can't grow sunflowers..  :shock:  :lol:
I'll take some pics of mine :)

Bombers

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 21:02 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Quote from: "srebmob"

First of all, well done! It's great isn't it? :D  I was tempted to harvest a couple today, but resisted.

About limiting to six, I don't grow them in pots, but am seriously inclined to say: stop wasting and ruining your harvest. :wink: Thin fruit out once some are edible and start with those. 8)

Thanks Gobs. when are they big enough to harvest? :)  The information I had was as follows:-    

"Start picking fruit when they are green once they have reached the size of a tennis ball and the skin is smooth and glossy (probably at the beginning of August). This will ensure continuing new fruit production. A mature pepper will turn red (or whatever colour) at the end of the season but remember leaving peppers to fully ripen will halt new fruit production. Crops over about 8 weeks" -
Some of my plants have upwards of 12-15 fruits :shock: I really don't want to sacrifice 1/2 of them, but will they all mature??

:shock:  :roll:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 21:10 »
Mine are really late going into the polytunnel, but they are all there now!  But i don't take any fruits off, as apart from anything else, if you have any problems, and a few fall off, you may wish the ones you took off were still there!

It won't be long and you'll be saying "what on earth am I going to do with all these peppers"????   :lol:  :lol:

pushrod

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 21:44 »
what do you do with excess peppers? Can you pickle them or store them in oil? Last year i got carried away and grew far more than i knew what to do with. Ended up giving about £30's worth (at supermarket prices) away and it's looking as if i've been a bit too enthusiastic again this year :oops:
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

gobs

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 21:50 »
Lecso - post recipe up in the kitchen, can preserve them in a million ways in pickles, dried or roast and cover with oil or jam the lot. :lol:

Porffor

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 23:03 »
wow i'm loving the 'what am I going to do with all these peppers' thought! lol

I have a lot of flowers on my plants still - just assumed they wouldn't all fruit, but will take the tips thanks! :)

mike2niner4

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 08:53 »
It's my first time also and i'm growing lots of things, including peppers and mine look almost identical to yours!

deezkatz

• mud boots blogspot
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 09:04 »
its my first time growing anything at all
but i've got some pepper plants on the go, no sign of babies yet though...

but my growhouse somersaulted up the garden a month ago, and i lost everything, so had to start again! :(
Dee

mike2niner4

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 10:19 »
thats terrible!:( :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

xx
peppers

Started by newbiegrower on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2007, 12:10
by newbiegrower
xx
Peppers

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 22:16
by sclarke624
xx
Peppers

Started by Bec1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 31, 2021, 20:08
by snowdrops
xx
peppers

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 14:54
by peapod

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 31 queries.