Advice please regarding hatching eggs.

• 2 Replies

Missie

Advice please regarding hatching eggs.
« on: May 05, 2010, 12:57 »
Hi,I have 4 broody hens,three are sitting on eggs,Bitsy a small bantam has been sitting on some eggs for 26 days and they have not hatched,However,I had candled to check for fertility,trouble is two eggs I have just checked,rattled or at least i felt something heavy inside which made a noise against the shell,I would really appreciate advice only scouring the internet advises the dispose of them and that they may have died in the shell.

If this is the case,I really need to know what went wrong.I took the advice of a local game keeper whom advised to place a "sod" underneath them with straw/shavings alike.This is a large thick cut turf,turned upside down with a hole inside and the moisture aids for the chicks to chip the shell easier- this apparently works for him,he has been using this method for 30 years and has a good hatch success rate of hens and pheasants.

He is on holiday so I cannot ask him regards what to do with these eggs,again,any advice would be so appreciated.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Advice please regarding hatching eggs.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 14:29 »
If they haven't hatched by day 26 then they are highly unlikely to. A couple of days late is one thing but 5 means they have almost certainly died in shell if they were fertile. That they rattle also does not sound good to me although to be fair I have never shaken one to find out I suppose this would happen once the chick had internally pipped into the airsac. If you can't feel any movement and there is no cheeping then it is time to take them away.

What I would do is make a hole in the blunt end to confirm what has happened. In the unlikely event there is signs of life they can be returned otherwise you can examine the chick to see if there is an obvious reason it didn't make it. In my experience there is rarely anything obvious and I therefore don't do it anymore as it is fairly unpleasent.

As to preventing it in the future, I don't have much advice as I usually use an incubator. I have helped out hatchlings but that requires a great deal of intervention and observation which is fine with my incy and it's clear top and I have had excellent results. It is a different matter with a broody and the one time I tried it in that situation it was unsuccessful and I would not attempt it again.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Advice please regarding hatching eggs.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 14:39 »
I hatch with broodies (never used the turf method, just hemcore) and never interfere with helping them out, last year I had 4 out of 20 die in their shells with nothing obvious and this year just one but this chick was deformed. I don't think there is any way of preventing it from happening again.
I agree with Kate that these are more than likely dead  :(.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Need advice on hatching eggs

Started by DaddyJay on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 07:34
by babe
xx
Hatching eggs with my broodie advice please

Started by Bengal on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 07:23
by Casey76
xx
Advice please: Hatching duck eggs

Started by two webbed feet on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 08:18
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Advice on turning hatching eggs?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 18:29
by rileyfin

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 39 queries.