Handfuls of mixed corn

• 12 Replies

hoptonboy

Handfuls of mixed corn
« on: September 16, 2012, 00:16 »
Hi,

Another question (sorry, I'm new to keeping hens) - how much mixed corn is too much? I give my 5 girls one to two handfuls every evening, thrown around the pen for them to scrat around for before bedtime.

I also give them the odd vegetable, they seem to love tomatoes and carrots.

I got the girls about 3 weeks ago, at POL, but at the moment only two are laying - was wondering if I'm overfeeding and that this is slowing/stopping egg rpoduction.

They also always have access to layers pellets.

Thanks
Novice in all things on this forum!!

Sassy

Re: Handfuls of mixed corn
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 08:47 »
The amount of corn you are feeding is about right. Don't worry about them laying just yet if they are point of lay. Some may not lay until after Christmas at this time of the year. It is important not to overfeed as fat hens do not lay. Layers pellets should be freely available and fed ad lib though. You're lucky that yours eat carrots, I have carrots freely available and mine won't touch them ::)

Sit back and enjoy it will all happen in time :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 08:49 »
That's fine. They'll (have to) stop eating when the crop is full so you can't literally overfeed them. Quality of food is good with layers and that amount of corn is just a nice treat. Just check that they do actually eat it all - I'd be surprised if they didn't - as you need to be ready for the autumn when mice are looking for new food sources. Do you have a supply of mixed grit? If not then it's worth putting out a dish; you'll be amazed how much they get through. Buy a big bag from the farm stores as the pet/poultry tubs are a rip-off.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:36 »
Do they have access to greens, either the lawn or cabbage (not cut grass), as this helps them to absorb calcium from oyster shell. I have 2 flower pots held down with camping spike, 1 with grit other with oyster shell.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 12:55 »
They'll (have to) stop eating when the crop is full so you can't literally overfeed them.

Don't you believe it!  We took back a hen that we'd sold to a lady 2 years before.  She was moving to a much smaller house so we took the 3 back.  One of them weighed 3.5kgs!! :ohmy: :ohmy:

And Aunt Sally had a hen that weighed about 3kgs.  That's nearly twice what they should weigh!

Like the others have said, layers pellets adlib, but keep treats to a minimum.

hoptonboy

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 17:28 »
Yeah they have salad greens when available (leftovers), and I throw in weeds like dandelion and rose bay willowherb, which they seem to love.

OK - will get some grit, although I was under the impression that they should get what they need from the soil?

Fiona55

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 16:18 »
Hi - just rading posts about grit/oyster shell.  My girls have access to oyster shell as they want.  I have not put down any grit - but there run is sand which they scratching in - is this ok instead of grit.  It also does a good job of absorbing the rain that we had at the begining of the summer  cheers

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 17:00 »
i have 6 ladies and during the summer i just feed layer pellets but during the winter i mix a bag of layer pellets with a bag of mixed corn mine seem to be ok

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 17:33 »
Hi - just rading posts about grit/oyster shell.  My girls have access to oyster shell as they want.  I have not put down any grit - but there run is sand which they scratching in - is this ok instead of grit.  It also does a good job of absorbing the rain that we had at the begining of the summer  cheers

Best for them to have grit as well.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 17:36 »
i have 6 ladies and during the summer i just feed layer pellets but during the winter i mix a bag of layer pellets with a bag of mixed corn mine seem to be ok

They can look fine but will have a build up of fat on their internal organs a bit like Foie gras.   ;) 

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 18:01 »
is therew anything els i can give them

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 20:02 »
Cabbage hung up like a boxing punch bag in the afternoon is always a winner and keeps them occupied.

The more treats they get the fussier they ::) get.

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 09:04 »
thanks very much im always looking for help on here lol ive had hens for a year but im still learning

xx
mixed corn

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 11, 2011, 14:02
by NormandyMary
xx
Mixed Corn

Started by stanlmic on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 22:45
by yorkshirerose
xx
Something in the mixed corn?

Started by kegs on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 15:05
by arugula
xx
pellets or mixed corn

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 10:09
by Selkie

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 32 queries.