mixed corn

• 6 Replies

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
mixed corn
« on: December 10, 2011, 16:22 »
im relativly new at keeping hens but ive been feeding mine a mixture of layer pellets and mixed corn should i feed them the corn all the time????

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: mixed corn
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 16:34 »
The corn should be fed as a treat. You can still feed it every day, depending on how many birds you have the odd handful thrown down for them to scratch for, best done in the afternoon.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 16:38 »
i have 5 birds 2 ex battery type hens a buff orpington and 2 light sussex hen and cock i need to get rid of the cock lol but he hasnt started crowing yet so ill keep him for now ive had him since 2 days old

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 16:47 »
That is the 6 miillion dolla question  ::) most keepers on this site prefure layers pellets because it contains everythink chucks need, if you log onto "Down the lane chicken keeping site they faver a 50/50 mix with odd treats ( ie boiled potato peelings) as long as they are getting a balanced diet to keep them well i dont think it realy matters what you feed  ;) layers pellets were origanaly developed for battery hens who need all the vittams and antibiotics they are made with, because of the hens lifestyle in tiny cages chuck cannot suppliment there diet  :tongue2: chucks have been kept for many years and there are as many differing opinions on the subject  :blink:
Chicken crazy

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 16:51 »
they seem to be happy il just have to keep an eye on it they should be ok

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 08:58 »
That is the 6 miillion dolla question  ::) most keepers on this site prefure layers pellets because it contains everythink chucks need, if you log onto "Down the lane chicken keeping site they faver a 50/50 mix with odd treats ( ie boiled potato peelings) as long as they are getting a balanced diet to keep them well i dont think it realy matters what you feed  ;) layers pellets were origanaly developed for battery hens who need all the vittams and antibiotics they are made with, because of the hens lifestyle in tiny cages chuck cannot suppliment there diet  :tongue2: chucks have been kept for many years and there are as many differing opinions on the subject  :blink:

There should not be ANY medication in layers pellets! Layers have been designed to provide all that a chicken needs to lay eggs and lead a healthy life - foodwise at least. Mixed corn does not provide everything. If you mix corn and pellets to feed the chooks will pig out on the corn and scatter much of the feed onto the ground in the process wasting it and possibly creating a health hazard. If you put sweets and vegetables on a plate for a child what will they eat first?and may be only eat the sweets. :wub:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:03 by Sassy »
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

NormandyMary

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 14:02 »
I probably break every rule in the book, but I was told to do this when I first got chooks 6 years ago. I mix up in equal proportions, layers pellets, corn and crushed maize which I store in airtight containers. Also to that, I add crushed oyster shell, especially now, as the girls dont get to free range all over the garden. Ive always had great eggs and the girls have been on the whole, incredibly healthy. Im sure that if I just put down the layers for them now, I'd have a mutiny on my hands. Jethro the cockerel wouldnt be too happy either!!!

xx
Mixed Corn

Started by stanlmic on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 22:45
by yorkshirerose
xx
Something in the mixed corn?

Started by kegs on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 15:05
by arugula
xx
Chickens won't eat mixed corn :/

Started by Carla on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 11, 2010, 17:43
by Carla
xx
Mixed corn or wheat

Started by georget on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 14:08
by Sassy

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 38 queries.