Muddy outdoor run area

• 19 Replies

sally10

• Chickens make me smile everyday !!
Re: Muddy outdoor run area
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 04:18 »
Thanks casey, I have put some straw down which the chickens are loving scratting around in it , I am going to add to it with leaves and then possibly some wood chip.
I will have a go at the grass see how it turns out, thanks xxx

jhub

• jane
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 08:51 »
Hello
Regarding shelter in your open run
Have you got an old coffee or plastic table you could put in the run so they have some shelter when it's raining? Alternatively you could make something with a few bits of wood.
Jane

PlacidCasual

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 06:56 »
I've got an old 8*6 greenhouse on mine with the door removed. Gives them a nice dusty area and shelter from the weather. In the summer the door goes back on and the veg benefit from the extra fertility.

NormandyMary

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 14:07 »
When my OH made the run for my new girls, a third of it where their houses and food and drink hoppers are situated, has been covered with a membrane then covered over with gravel This means that I dont get too muddy night and morning when I do my chores. However, the other side of the entrance to their run is ultra muddy, once or twice Ive lost my shoe in it! :D

The goat's run is muddy too, although they tend to kick some of their hay out of their house so that soaks a bit up. I much prefer the dry bright crispy mornings to the wet ones, Im longing for some god dry weather to repait the damage caused by the rain.

sally10

• Chickens make me smile everyday !!
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 18:48 »
The straw is working really well, they have a large hen house to go in for shelter it's not just a coop it's a full size shed so they have plenty of indoors space too  !! Spoilt girls !!! I watched them the other day as it was hail stoning and they were all queuing up to go in !!
One of my black rocks sometimes really pulls her face if it's cold and wet and comes out for a look and then goes straight back in !! Oh what an easy life !!

My older birds have a couple of old plastic tables as shelter outside too ! And a couple of chairs with a plank going across so they can perch in the sun ! The new ones don't have any furniture yet as they are very flighty so I need to increase the height of the fence or get some lower furniture. I put one f the little tables in there and the next minute one of my bluebells flew up on top of a 6ft fence post !! Luckily she decided to come back in !! Cheeky monkey!!

grin
wet muddy run

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post December 07, 2009, 19:55
by Flowerpower136
xx
Wet and Muddy

Started by joolz68 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 09, 2014, 12:53
by joolz68
xx
Muddy chickens!

Started by molly.l on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 12, 2010, 12:44
by joyfull
xx
muddy chooks

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 18:23
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 36 queries.