Chickens won't eat mixed corn :/

• 7 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Chickens won't eat mixed corn :/
« on: December 09, 2010, 10:26 »
Hiya everyone. Bit worried about the cold weather and my ex-batts. They point blank refuse to eat mixed corn. They hoover down their pellets and love defrosted sweetcorn, but won't eat normal corn. I thought they needed the corn to digest slowly during the night and keep them warm. Is there anything else they might like that has the same warming benefits as the corn as its a bit nippy ;) xx
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chickens won't eat mixed corn :/
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 10:45 »
you could try warm porridge (made with water not milk) or even a porridge made out of layers and hot water but some birds are very wary of new foods. If they don't like it don't worry just keep giving them their layers it will give them all they need. The idea behind the porridge oats and corn is that oats and corn are low GI and therefor slower to raise the blood sugar level but if your girls have a full crop when they go to bed they will be fine  :)   
Staffies are softer than you think.

jinty1911

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 19:23 »
Mine never bothered with corn when I first got them but that was because I was giving them to many treats (well, that's what you do isnt it  :tongue2: ) They had sweet corn and mealworms every night.  So have cut that down to every now and again and they love their corn now.  :lol:
Jinty

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 19:33 »
Do you have grit out for the ex-batts ? They need grit in their gizzard to grind up the corn to be able to digest it , as ex battery hens i expect their gizzards have not had to work very hard being fed soft mash all the time.
Their digestive system may take a while to adapt to proper food. :)

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 20:26 »
Hi Carla
I have noticed my birds have not been as keen on mixed corn since the cold weather but not sure why. Prior to the cold spell they where obsessed with it. They have certainly been more fussy about what they eat but seem to like free-ranging a lot more including travelling a lot further looking for places to sctatch about in. Perhaps it's high protein food they need. Tried feeding them warm layers pellets in the morning but they were not impressed!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 18:11 »
Mine are less interested in greens as it gets colder, but never lose interest in corn.  Chickens do tend to be wary creatures, so maybe it's that or the point 8doubles makes is very valid, so get some grit of you haven't got any.

As they get to know you and you introduce new foods they should get more adventurous.  If they have had layers, layers and more layers pellets all their lives so far, it may take a while for then to adjust  ;)

orchardlady

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 22:00 »
I really wouldn't worry that your birds are not interested in corn or mixed corn. It's a nice addition to their diet but not a necessity. As long as they are happy with their layers mash/layers pellets, some oyster shell and grit that's fine. Layers are a well thought out balanced diet and they will be fine.

OL

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 17:43 »
Thanks everyone. They always have grit and oyster shell...they hoovered the shell up when I first had them, but now they just peck at it half heartedly, I mix their layers pellets, grit and oyster shell all together and dole it all out daily so they're never without. I have been spoiling them, giving them sweetcorn every day, or a few kitchen scraps...nothing over the top..but its sooooo cold and they keep laying me lovely big eggs, so I think we've reached an understanding ;)  I'll try them with a bit of corn when it warms up a bit. I was just worried that they'd freeze without it....I'll rest easier now...just the foxes to lie awake stressing about   :unsure: xx

xx
Something in the mixed corn?

Started by kegs on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 15:05
by arugula
xx
mixed corn

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 11, 2011, 14:02
by NormandyMary
xx
Mixed Corn

Started by stanlmic on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 22:45
by yorkshirerose
xx
Mixed Corn Question

Started by Hitman on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2015, 18:38
by danfinn1

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 35 queries.