Pumpkin and potato questions

• 1 Replies

Novice but totally hooked

• Experienced Member
Pumpkin and potato questions
« on: July 12, 2009, 11:48 »
Two questions which will probably be very basic to you pros out there but my sign in name says it all......!

Pumpkins.  Mine are growing well and producing small fruit.  I'm worried that with all the rain if the fruit are on the ground they'll start to rot.  Do I need to put them on a bed of straw or anything to keep them off the soil?

Potatoes.  All the plants are doing well but none have started to flower.  However a few of the plants (the ones that didn't have much shade during the really hot spell the other week) seem to be dying.  I kept them really well watered throughout the hot spell so they didn't dry out.  The leaves are turning yellow and keeling over.  Should I leave them or dig them?  I've had a very quick look around the base of the plants and they appear to have a crop but I don't know how substantial.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pumpkin and potato questions
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 13:47 »
If the spud leaves are going yellow and dying then they are as ready as they are going to be. :D Up to you whether you dig them or 'store' them where they are for a while....but they will be at the mercy of the slugs :unsure:
I put bits of old tile, wood or old pot saucers under my pumpkins to raise them off the soil :)

xx
Help - first ever pumpkin - questions?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 13:02
by agapanthus
xx
Couple of Pumpkin questions

Started by Lady Lottie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 23:18
by strangerachael
xx
Pumpkin/Tomato ripening, fruiting and feeding questions

Started by 1st time veg grower on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 13:56
by 1st time veg grower
xx
2 potato questions

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 13:24
by Grecian Gardener

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 33 queries.