Help - first ever pumpkin - questions?

• 4 Replies

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
Help - first ever pumpkin - questions?
« on: October 14, 2008, 12:27 »
I have grown three 'hundredweight' pumpkins. One is about 30lb and the others a bit smaller.

I have eagerly awaited the carving of such pumpkin and had recipies for pumpkin pie etc standing by.   I have mostly found seeds and fibrous fleshy things inside and now it is hollow there is poss max 1" of flesh which doesn't look too appetising either.

Is this kind not intended to be eaten, did I let it go too far, should I be using my BNS for the pumpkin pie. Out of a 2.2kg squash I probably had about 2kg of flesh....hmmmmmm?

wellingtons

I haven't grown that particular one ...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 14:24 »
... but I did grow Atlantic Giant and the ratio of edible flesh to actual size was much lower than I expected.

It may have something to do with the fact that you had three, I'm assuming they were all on the same plant.  

But the quick answer is ... the bigger the pumpkin doesn't always mean the bigger the pie/soup/etc, etc.

:D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: I haven't grown that particular one ...
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 16:50 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"
... but I did grow Atlantic Giant and the ratio of edible flesh to actual size was much lower than I expected.

It may have something to do with the fact that you had three, I'm assuming they were all on the same plant.  

But the quick answer is ... the bigger the pumpkin doesn't always mean the bigger the pie/soup/etc, etc.

:D

I know yours last year went over the ton, what was the final weight?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

wellingtons

Crikey ...
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 12:01 »
... I can't remember, will be on a thread here somewhere ... but it was over 6ft round the middle that much I can remember!!

agapanthus

Re: Help - first ever pumpkin - questions?
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 13:02 »
Quote from: "vineweevil1"
I have grown three 'hundredweight' pumpkins. One is about 30lb and the others a bit smaller.

I have eagerly awaited the carving of such pumpkin and had recipies for pumpkin pie etc standing by.   I have mostly found seeds and fibrous fleshy things inside and now it is hollow there is poss max 1" of flesh which doesn't look too appetising either.

Is this kind not intended to be eaten, did I let it go too far, should I be using my BNS for the pumpkin pie. Out of a 2.2kg squash I probably had about 2kg of flesh....hmmmmmm?

That does sound about right......loads and loads of seeds and stringy stuff. The flesh of this variety are great for eating....just looks a bit of a mess when you are cutting it all up!!! ;)

xx
Couple of Pumpkin questions

Started by Lady Lottie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 23:18
by strangerachael
xx
Pumpkin and potato questions

Started by Novice but totally hooked on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 13:47
by mumofstig
xx
Pumpkin/Tomato ripening, fruiting and feeding questions

Started by 1st time veg grower on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 13:56
by 1st time veg grower
xx
Pumpkin vines dying but pumpkin still green.

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 22:07
by rubyrose

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 39 queries.