Question for clever ones from a idiot!

• 24 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: Question for clever ones from a idiot!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 11:02 »
My comfrey has only been in one year - mostly in the boundary hedge. Once its established I suspect clumps might mysteriously start to grow in other hedges nearby...   ;)

Pip pip,
Balders

cadalot

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 12:29 »
Balders - funny that because I'm suspicious that comfrey is likely to start growing along the access way between the two gates to the allotment along the fence line next year as a resource for those that can identify it.

Believe it or not I'm the only one on our allotment that grows comfrey and uses it.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 12:40 »
I usually suggest Newbies ask an existing allotment holder for a "root of Bocking 14" ...

Believe it or not I'm the only one on our allotment that grows comfrey and uses it.

... has a queue formed yet?  :lol:

cadalot

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 14:19 »
I usually suggest Newbies ask an existing allotment holder for a "root of Bocking 14" ...

... has a queue formed yet?  :lol:

Nope, my Comfrey Patch is Bocking 14. The lady on plot 5 has some growing and after making tea once could not stand the smell so she adds to compost of feeds to the chickens she has now attempted to dig out when she put a pond in and surprise surprise it keeps growing back. 

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 15:02 »
Yes, it is smelly.

It's a tough choice - upsetting the neighbours or making compost stew.....

Maybe a bottle of home brew might smooth things over?
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 20:46 »
Confrey has become quite widespread on our site in the last couple of years.
When I took on my plot 2 years ago there wasn't much knowledge about comfrey. ;)

_ Actually our site has a few permaculture plots and a few open-minded old-boys so I’m not really claiming it was down to me. Though I seem to be the only one encouraging its appearance in hedges and along pathways....

Pip pip,
Balders

snowdrops

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 22:41 »
Thank you, both, for your replies.

I *do* love the idea of using the comfrey as a border-type plant. That could really work for me.

I have open fronted manure bins at the front of plot 39. I've planted the comfrey that is rife on our site in front of the open bins, it helps screen the manure from the main path & hold it in place until I harvest it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

RichardA

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 23:30 »
Quick thought -- when you use lime and fertilizers etc in outside plots much is lost to rain etc over the year so it does not build up in the soil. In greenhouses and polytunnels just be a bit cautious as there is no rain and much less water goes thro the soil so ph and other soil characteristics can be far greatly affected by even small amounts of additives so go more lightly than on open plots. Otherwise I agree about compost and comfrey etc. I double dig and mix in compost across a third of my polytunnel and greenhouse beds every year and rotate crops but I don't change the soil.
Make good use in winter by growing spring cabbage for example and whenever you can grow beans or peas eg dwarf beans early and late in the season to benefit the soil just as in open plot rotations.
Enjoy
R

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 05:32 »
I have open fronted manure bins ...., it helps screen the manure from the main path & hold it in place until I harvest it.

While SWMBO loves the idea of (me) recycling and composting, the latter is definitely NIMBY. Part of my garden plan is not only composting but of leaf mould also. I want to get to a point where I do not buy compost. I think your use of comfrey this way is tip-top and I may pinch that idea.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:02 by Kevin67 »

cadalot

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 07:08 »
Next year I going to grow lots of green manure and if I don't get to dig it in I shall fill my daleks up with it

xx
Greenhouse question

Started by Thephoenix572 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 08:38
by DD.
xx
Another tomato question

Started by andyw on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 20:28
by LilacSandy
xx
Heating in the GH question

Started by Caretaker on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post April 11, 2014, 21:46
by Caretaker
xx
hardening off question

Started by al78 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post April 14, 2020, 11:37
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 29 queries.