Bad Hatching

• 4 Replies

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Bad Hatching
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:13 »
I dont understand it, I have hatched out 4 batches of eggs with no problems so far. I disinfected  the incubator and have left all the settings the same but this hatch has been a nightmare!

As they were guinea fowl eggs I did alot of reading up and set the humidity for 55% and raised to 65% for hatching, last day of turning day 25, candled the eggs and we were good to go. I have a manual turn forced air incubator, I turn 3 times a day and use paper towels for moisture.

Day 28 nothing! Day 29 they eventually started but out of 21 eggs only 5 pipped and were very slow and lethargic, not even cheeping. I left them alone for 12 hours but  had to help in the end.

There is still movement in some of the eggs so even though it is day 30 I have left the incubator running.

The chicks that have hatched I think may have splay legs, I know this can happen when the hatch is late.

Eggs came from a very reputable breeder, anyone any ideas on what I have done wrong,or is this just part and parcel of incubator hatching?  :(

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: Bad Hatching
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 13:29 »
I have had this problem before myself.  It could be that the temp/humidity was not quite right at some point in the incubation.  Or it could be those particular or that breed.  I got a bacterial infection on my last lot which had the eggs and chicks dropping like flies!

Seramas for example are a nightmare to hatch!  Just mark it down to experience and double check everything before you atrt again. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 13:48 »
I hatched guinea fowl using a broody last year and out of 8 only 3 hatched so could be guinea fowl in general  :unsure:.

Just  wondering how long did you let the eggs rest before popping them in the incubator - I was advised they need longer than chicken eggs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 14:27 »
Thank you for your replies.

I let the eggs stand for 24 hours, but did pick them up myself from a local supplier.

Think you are both right just have to mark it up to experience. Very upsetting though think I may have to euthanise the hatchlings they do not look right. At work today, will see how they look tonight.

I think there must have been a drop in heat or humidity at some point, when you are out and live in a rural area you never know do you  :blink:

I think I got a bit over confident because I had not had any big problems previously!

Thanks again

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 14:42 »
I was told even when picking the eggs up yourself with guineas they really need longer than this to rest.

xx
Hatching Help

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 21:43
by Thompson24
xx
Hatching Day

Started by slowef on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 09:27
by richyrich7
xx
egg hatching

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 01:31
by Silkysmooth
xx
Egg is hatching!!

Started by danmegal on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 14:34
by Vember

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 36 queries.