just bought a dehydrator

• 31 Replies

snow white

just bought a dehydrator
« on: August 30, 2013, 17:03 »
Can any one recommend a good book.  Have bananas in at the moment - cant' wait.  Courgettes next.    :D

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Re: just bought a dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 17:20 »
Can I be really nosey and ask what model you've bought?  I see people saying they are going to dehydrate stuff like courgettes - do you just throw them into soups etc to rehydrate them?  I'm fascinated and a complete sucker for kitchen gadgets.  Thanks!  :)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 18:20 »
The 2 most popular ones are The Dehydrator Bible, and, Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook. I have the latter and it's quite complete.

On youtube, there's an excellent gal who's very knowledgeable called:   dehydrate2store
What she doesn't know isn't worth knowing. I believe she might even have a book out.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 18:45 »
I've got the Mary Bell on and Trillium is right, it is pretty comprehensive, so far.  I got mine from Amazon and it was quite expensive (£12.99) and came from Canada, so took a couple of weeks to come. Might be cheaper on Kindle or Nook. You probably don't really need a book, Youtube has some good thing on, there was this woman with a most amazing apple corer/peeler/slicer thing, which I immeediately wanted, but luckily my kitchen isn't big enough ::)
Anne

snow white

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 21:35 »
I bought a Callow digital dehydrator from Amazon 49.95.  Apples were great but bananas are taking ages.  Tried 8 hours and stillsoft so on for another three.  Will look out for the books and website - thanks  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 08:50 »
Bananas do take a long time. The more water and less sugar the fruit or vegetable has, the quicker they dry. A lot of shop bought dried nanas are actually deep fried before drying.  They will still be chewy and a bit sticky done at home, but much better for you :)

Next time you do apples, try soaking them first for a few minutes in orange juice, then sprinkling with a bit of cinnamon before drying.  Supermarket cheapo bags of pears make fantastic dried pears as well.  I usually dip them in fruit juice first to prevent discolouration.  Pineapple is good. Experiment with flavours and see what you like  :)

I've got the Mary Bell book and use it all the time  ;)

Ema

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 21:45 »
I've been looking at buying a dehydrator for ages but always get baffled by them, is the 1 youve brought big enough to get a whole sliced banana in? 

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 22:30 »
Mine's an Andrew James one and has 5 trays, and its plenty big enough for one banana.  I did half a bucket full of runner beans yesterday and it only covered 3 of the trays.

Ema

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 23:18 »
thank you that really helps, will have to treat myself to one  :ohmy:

snow white

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 17:13 »
i dehydrated about 10 bananas in it.  they are scrummy - very strong tasting but a great snack.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 20:39 »
Try slicing things as thin as possible they dry faster. I had a lot of success last year with grated carrots.
I'll try bananas they often have bags on the market 10 for 1.00.

I find all the info I need on the web. Going to try cues next.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 15:00 »
I've got the Mary Bell on and Trillium is right, it is pretty comprehensive, so far.  I got mine from Amazon and it was quite expensive (£12.99) and came from Canada, so took a couple of weeks to come. Might be cheaper on Kindle or Nook. You probably don't really need a book, Youtube has some good thing on, there was this woman with a most amazing apple corer/peeler/slicer thing, which I immeediately wanted, but luckily my kitchen isn't big enough ::)

I found the 'dehydrator' lady on youtube.  WOW!!! She has kitchen gadgets that make me green with envy.  The chopper thingummy on her worktop is amazing!  Gadgets aside, she has made the whole dehydrating thing much clearer to me! When she showed the dried foods next to the dehydrated foods I could see the difference and the penny dropped for me! A dehydrator is now on my wish list!  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 15:28 »
I'm in love with mine. I have the 9 tray Excalibur that she has, and that poor thing is in very frequent use all year round. I never dreamed you could dehydrate lemon slices, which I now do whenever I find a great deal on reduced lemons. Mostly we use them for hot tea now and don't have to worry about the fresh lemons going bad or costing a lot.

Today I'm putting in another 9 trays of chopped celery to dehydrate to use for soups and stews. I use THIS to chop them up with and I'm done in under 10 minutes. Got the unit at a thrift store for $1 and LOVE it; it comes with 2 different screen sizes.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 17:52 »
Ooh, Trillium....I want one (where is that green smiley when you need it?) :nowink:

Sparkyrog

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 21:35 »
Has too many kitchen toy's as it is AND I am not building an extension  :lol:
I cook therefore I grow

xx
dehydrator

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 20:10
by birmancats
xx
Dehydrator

Started by big green bloke on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2015, 18:44
by Madame Cholet
xx
dehydrator questions

Started by dmg on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2013, 14:15
by Annen
xx
Dehydrator models

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

21 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 15:43
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 40 queries.