Did I stop her laying?

• 5 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Did I stop her laying?
« on: May 09, 2011, 11:02 »
Last Tuesday, as it was such a fine day, I decided to give the ark a thorough clean, clearing out all the bedding, scrubbing out with a Jeyes solution, rinsing, leaving to dry, and spraying every nook & cranny with Poultry Shield, leaving that to dry before putting the fresh bedding in. That was all going to take several hours so I started before all the girls had laid, leaving bedding in the quarantine house for any latecomers.

PomPom, my little Skyline, hadn't laid and got very upset about not being able to get into the ark, in fact she got really stressed out but finally laid in the small house. The next afternoon I noticed she was very down in the beak and seemed uncomfortable until she suddenly squatted on the grass and popped out a soft shelled egg (not even attempting to go upstairs to the nest box), then her whole demeanour changed, she was bright, active, feeding and seemed normal.

She hasn't laid an egg since - she's my only Skyline and there haven't been any more blue eggs. Is it possible that she got so stressed it stopped her egg production or could it be something else? She's always been a regular layer, giving me 5 eggs a week, so it's unusual for her.

I have also been worming them since Tuesday.

PaulineM

Re: Did I stop her laying?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 12:56 »
Hi
I'm not that experienced but perhaps the change in her routine has put her of for a bit but if this is the case she will soon restart. Have you checked that she hasn't found somewhere else nice and quite and secluded to lay her eggs.
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 14:05 »
I found this with one of my girls when I was cleaning them out and took the Eglu to bits. I could see that she wanted to go in to lay her egg so I put it back together so she could do so.  She didn't seem interested when I embarked on the job and let me take the whole thing apart, the awkward madam  :D

It could well be that she was upset by the change in routine but she'll be fine now I'm sure  :)

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 14:54 »
One of my girls never lays the day after they get cleaned out...even if its just a quick tidy up, its bizarre but I guess she just doesn't like change!

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 12:48 »
I'm pleased to report that PomPom has broken her duck!   

She was sitting in the nestbox when I left for work yesterday afternoon and when I got back in the early hours there was a perfect blue egg waiting for me. What a relief, no bunged up chicken to sort out!!    :wacko: 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:50 by Catsmuvva »

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 17:35 »
Ah good, glad she's ok  :)

xx
Do Chickens eat less when they stop laying?

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 06:35
by New shoot
xx
Implant to stop laying

Started by helens-hens on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 13:36
by helens-hens
xx
Hot weather stop laying?

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 17:30
by moomoos42
xx
How long do they stop laying for?

Started by dizzylizzie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 13, 2009, 18:17
by karlooben

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 38 queries.