Chicken sitting

• 2 Replies

ray and row

Chicken sitting
« on: September 08, 2011, 11:46 »
Hi all, we are thinking of having 4 chicken as pets, we have one problem, we do not have any one to look after them when we go away.  We have just moved into the area and do not know any body. We live in HOWDEN in EAST RIDING.

We are  only looking at possibly 3 weeks holiday a year, and a few weekends. We are happy to return the sitting if any one is available,  Many thanks Ray and Row

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Chicken sitting
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:13 »
Hello R&R, and welcome to the forum. :)

Unfortunately I'm too far away to help with your chicken sitting, but I have found having chickens has been an excellent way to get to know my neighbours.  I went on holiday for a week in July and asked my neighbour to mind my flock.  It was the first time I had met this young man as he had just moved in next door.

He turned out to be an excellent chicken sitter and even went to the pet shop and bought more food when I was stranded away from home due to snow! (Then he declined payment for the food when I got back.)  He did enjoy eating the eggs the girls laid for him too.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
Re: Chicken sitting
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 23:08 »
Ask around!  Local vet, local shop, school gates.....  Loads of people would love to have pets but can't - and chicken sitting is very easy (2 visits a day) and rewarding (keep the eggs). 

We go away fairly often & the neighbours almost fight over whose turn it is - and they are not impressed when oldest son decides to stay home.

We got the chicken-keeping bug through holiday duties for a friend's beasts, but hers are harder work as there's chickens, ducks, guinea pig, guinea fowl, broodies, mums with chicks...

The only thing I would say is type out an "Idiots Guide" for your sitter & pin it up near the food store so they don't have to remember everything.

ManicMum

xx
The Dangers of Sitting on Someone Else's Egg

Started by LittleRedHen on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 22:19
by grinling
xx
duck sitting

Started by goodegg on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:29
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Pullet sitting on fake egg.... PLEASE HELP!!

Started by kat78 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 13:22
by ANHBUC
xx
A chicken thank you?

Started by themagicaltoad1 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 16:18
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 38 queries.