What to do w/green tomatoes - don't say chutney...

• 24 Replies

midmarman

Re: What to do w/green tomatoes - don't say chutney...
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 10:39 »
Slice them coat in cornmeal/polenta  and fry in oil till golden brown then use like croutons in soup especially spicy pumpkin soup hmmm   :)

Wild Willow

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 13:26 »
Thanks everyone!

A lot of good ideas and composting them is always a good thing too.

I just have one question about composting blighted tomatoes...if they do have a touch of blight is it ok to compost just the tomatoes?

Cheers,

Charleen  :)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 13:39 »
I wouldn't  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Mrs Bee

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 18:42 »
Neither would I.

richie3846

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 20:37 »
Any green toms left at the end of the season usually end up in the airing cupboard. Chop the whole plant, tie the stems with string, hang off a suitable sticky-outy-bit, and wait a while. They will normally ripen up and still be quite tasty. I made sure this year that a didn't hang 'em above the clean washing. The wife wasn't to happy when she saw the dried leaves scattered all over the clean bedding!

Totty

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 21:46 »
Still a bit of time left yet before greenhouse toms stop ripening. Cold nights and harsher weather may put an end to outdoor toms now, but I'll be leaving all the toms on the plant as long s poss.

Totty

Sparkyrog

GREEN TOMATO KETCHUP
THE WAY WE COOKED: VINTAGE GOURMET
SEPTEMBER 1948
Mix together in a large kettle 10 pounds green tomatoes, coarsely chopped, 10 green peppers, stems and seeds removed, then chopped, and 6 medium-sized onions, also chopped. Sprinkle the mixture with salt and let stand for a few hours. Drain off the liquid and place the vegetables in a large kettle with 6 cups vinegar, 1 tablespoon each powdered ginger, whole cloves, and peppercorns, and 1 teaspoon nutmeg. Let the mixture simmer gently until the vegetables are soft, then rub the mixture through a sieve. Place this purée in a clean kettle with 2 cups sugar (more or less, according to taste), 2 tablespoons dry mustard mixed into a smooth paste with a little vinegar, and more salt and pepper if needed. Simmer very slowly for another hour, adding a little vinegar if the ketchup looks too thick. Pour the ketchup into hot sterilized jars and seal at once. When cold, store the jars in a cool, dark, dry place.

This exclusive recipe is pulled directly from Gourmet’s archive. It has not been re-tested by our food editors since it was published in the magazine, but it's a pretty good indication of the kinds of things we once cooked—and ate—with great pleasure. :)

http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/1940s/1948/09/green-tomato-ketchup
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 09:04 by mumofstig »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 09:16 »
merged your post with the thread you were looking for sparky  ;)

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 13:38 »
Last year we had loads of green tomatoes (see picture below), but they kept pretty well on the kitchen window sill for a month, with only a handful not eventually turning red (or yellow). We only ended up with two jars of chutney!

This year, I've not yet picked them all as there are probably double the amount of green tomatoes to last year, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the nights don't get too cold....
tomatoes4.jpg

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 19:43 »
Thx for this thread, having the same dilemma as we already have so much chutney this year and a full freezer! We had to pull all our tomato plants because blight had started, so don't want to leave them too long on the windowsill waiting to ripen, nor compost them. But I did read that you can use green tomatoes in most recipes where you'd use red ones, just mix them 50/50 red and green. I've also seen a couple of green tomato sauce and pasta recipes, usually with basil, so was going to make up something similar.

xx
Mango Chutney - green

Started by Dirt Diver on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 07:50
by Dirt Diver
xx
Val's Green tomato chutney

Started by Ice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 00:23
by nemie
xx
Green tomato chutney ...

Started by wellingtons on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post October 13, 2006, 12:52
by muntjac
xx
green tomato chutney

Started by anitaws on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post October 24, 2011, 21:20
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 40 queries.