hen sitting on eggs?? what happens next??

• 1 Replies

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
hen sitting on eggs?? what happens next??
« on: April 13, 2012, 12:51 »
Ok I was given a bantam type (not sure on exact breed) hen and cockerel, they have breed and so now have 2 hens and one cockerel.

The daughter (who is about 1 year) started to sit on eggs but wouldnt stay on them all day - for a couple of weeks, she then started sitting on the eggs permanently for 2 weeks now, we noticed that the mother had stopped laying or had found a new place to lay... However we the daughter was off her egg the other day we took a peep and there were 11 eggs under her, both mothers and daugters eggs. Yesterday I noticed that the mum was also in the coop and today she has taken over... not sure if this is because there are now too many eggs for the daughter to cover? but my question is what happens next... obviously i know the eggs should be fertile as our cockerel is very active particularly with the daughter (the mother is a lot bigger than him - different breeds but he obviously manages!) so i wait another week or so and hopefully one chick will be born from one egg, will she then leave the other eggs to be outside with her new chick or will she wait another 21 days until they are all born?? obviously if she is taking the mothers eggs too it could go on forever, our coop is only small as we only started with 2! so i would like to know so that I can get building somewhere to house these new fellas!

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: hen sitting on eggs?? what happens next??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 13:18 »
I'll move this over to the hen house so you get more replies. :)

Why don't you pop over to the welcome forum and tell us a little more about yourself. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
Sitting on eggs

Started by Fire2920 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 23:21
by Fire2920
exclamation
Hen sitting on eggs please help|

Started by Nickynesb on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 20:47
by orchardlady
xx
broody hen not sitting on all of her eggs

Started by jax86 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 19:33
by bantam novice
xx
Chicken sitting on eggs

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 14:46
by orchardlady

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 35 queries.