can brassic seedlings go into my greenhouse yet

• 16 Replies

julietmaria

• http://www.thewashablenappy.co.uk
can brassic seedlings go into my greenhouse yet
« on: March 01, 2012, 22:33 »
I have some cauliflower,  broccoli and cabbage seedlings in my unheated dining room - can they now go into my unheated greenhouse?   I have only had the greenhouse a year or so and it is all very new to me.  Bu It suddenly thought I could be raising my seedlings in there instead of the house.  I have other seedlings like chilli's and peppers but I think it might be too cold at night.  It gets quite warm in the day up to 18 today.   Also I have some globe artichokes that are 1 - 2 inches high - could they go in?  Thanks in advance :)

A flower cannot blossom without sunshine nor a garden without love

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: can brassic seedlings go into my greenhouse yet
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 22:36 »
we have another cold snap forecast for the weekend, so I'd wait till after that before putting anything out there  ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 22:58 »
Once it warms up a bit I'd begin to get those brassicas used to the big wide world outside but avoid big temperature changes (especially drops) as this can set new plants back and slow down their growth.

Out during the day and in at night until they harden off a little.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sarajane

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 23:22 »
Just keep your eye on temperatures.  My fuschias and geraniums are in the greenhouse at the mo, covered every night with fleece but the minute the temp drops (and it probably will) they will be back inside flooding the windowsills once more.

Brassicas are slightly more hardy but still a bit early to be left on their own devices in the greenhouse.  Aso like Paul Plots says, out in the day and in at night till they harden off

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 19:55 »
The odd (very odd  :lol:) few warm days can easily fool us into thinking we really ought to get going with this sowing it, pot it on and transplant it lark but......

I think there's still a fair few cold days to come before we see the back of this winter even if it is on its way out.

Take care with those tenders.  ;)

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 12:29 »
my brassicas were started in the greenhouse about 10 days ago and are showing. They are also covered by a plastic sun tunnel to double insulate them until the days get a bit longer. This method worked really well for me last year.  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 16:56 »
The ones that I have sown say sew outside in March. I can't see a problem with inside.

BP
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 17:17 »
The problem with inside is them getting too hot!

The ones I sowed in January are about to be kicked out as I don't want them getting accustomed to heat.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 22:33 »
Good point DD.

I do have a well practiced hardening off process though once they are through. Greenhouse, cold frame, net frame -> big world. If the weather plays up i can always backtrack.

BP

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 22:42 »
Good point DD.

I do have a well practiced hardening off process though once they are through. Greenhouse, cold frame, net frame -> big world. If the weather plays up i can always backtrack.

BP

Similar here, frost free greenhouse - unheated greenhouse - there you go big outdoors!

Heat - don't do it.

Gandan57

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 08:55 »
My calabrese seedlings are about half an inch high in 24 modules in a seed tray. They go outside unprotected by day and are brought into the conservatory at night.

I would only protect them outside if heavy rain was forecast.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Headgardener22

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 08:11 »
The odd (very odd  :lol:) few warm days can easily fool us into thinking we really ought to get going with this sowing it, pot it on and transplant it lark but......

I think there's still a fair few cold days to come before we see the back of this winter even if it is on its way out.

I agree but its always worth making an early sowing and then a "normal" one, if we get an early summer then you might catch more of it.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 13:38 »
I put some sprout seed into modules in the greenhouse 3 weeks ago. They are about 1/2" high at the moment.

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 23:28 »

Not sure where my brain was (asleep I expect) when I wrote the above.  ::)

My brassica seeds went into a cool greenhouse to germinate ages ago. Several have since been pricked out and plonked out during the day time to get ready for the big wide world.

I have several types potted up outside waiting for their trip to the plot.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 10:18 »
Whenever I start Brassicas off in the greenhouse they wilt and die off - almost as though the heat and sun was too much.

The second lot this year are in my utility which is a bit darker and I would think a bit cooler as my greenhouse has been so warm lately - even on the coldest days.

Emma

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 34 queries.