Hen sitting on eggs please help|

• 8 Replies

Nickynesb

Hen sitting on eggs please help|
« on: July 08, 2011, 00:46 »
Hi there all
Please can somebody help me my neighbor has gone away for a few weeks and I am 'hen sitting', I am struggling to get in touch with him and don't know what to do with a broody hen.
He has 4 hens and recently bought a rooster. One of the hens is now sitting on about 6 eggs and will not get up, fluffs up and clucks when you go near her although she will let me stroke her. After researching on the web I have come to the conclusion that she is broody and that very possibly in the next week or two I will have baby chicks to look after. Can anybody please help with what I should do.
The broody hen is still in the same hutch as the others and the rooster. I am giving her food and water and making sure she has daylight during the day.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hen sitting on eggs please help|
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 06:50 »
was she broody when your friend left you to chicken sit? if she was he/she should have made provision for them if not then have you been removing the eggs daily?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 07:48 »
What you do really depends on whether you want to let her have the chicks or not????? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 07:53 »
if she wasn't broody when your neighbour left and they never expressed any desire for you to let them hatch any eggs I would remove the eggs and place the broody hen with a bowl of feed and water in a dog cage if you have one. Otherwise keep lifting her out of the coop and once the others have laid their eggs block the nest boxes off to prevent her from getting back in.

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 02:02 »
if she wasn't broody when your neighbour left and they never expressed any desire for you to let them hatch any eggs I would remove the eggs and place the broody hen with a bowl of feed and water in a dog cage if you have one. Otherwise keep lifting her out of the coop and once the others have laid their eggs block the nest boxes off to prevent her from getting back in.

I'd just add if you put her in a dog cage as Joy suggests to break her broodiness make sure she has food and water and is kept in the SHADE and not in full sun.  A period of two days is the maximum she should be kept like this. 

She won't come to any harm if she remains in the coop however but you should lift her out each day as often as you visit and remove any eggs she is sitting on.  She may complain and appear fierce and aim a few feeble pecks at you but she won't hurt you.  When lifting her grasp her firmly round her thighs and support her underneath with your fingers.  Lift her pointing her rear end away from you and place her on the ground near the drinker.  She may flop down but will get up with a bit of encouragement.

Best wishes
HF
Truth through science.

Nickynesb

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 09:54 »
Many thanks to all of you for your help. Here is an update:
I have managed to get hold of my neighbors sister and she has said that he does want to breed which is why he got the rooster, therefore I am not going to remove any of the eggs as they may be fertile, the hen seems very comfortable and is eating and drinking I lifted her to stretch her legs yesterday but she just wanted to get back to her eggs.
We also think my neighbor is coming back for a couple of days this week so I will be able to update him then and also give him a mobile phone!

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 10:14 »
that would be a very good idea and perhaps your neighbour could also sort out a broody coop for her and get the chick feeder, drinker and chick crumb sorted out  :)

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 15:26 »
As Joyful is hinting at here a laying house is NOT suitable to hatch and brood chx and your friend needs to arrange a coop where they will be on the flat at ground or slightly raised level that the chx can negotiate.  They need to be away from the hurly burly of the laying boxes and in a quiet place away from the rest untill the chixs are at least 4 weeks old.

They need top be provided with chick crumbs and water in suitably designed chx feeders/ drinkers so they can't foul or drownd.

HF

orchardlady

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 20:47 »
If there are other laying hens in and around this broodie lady make sure you mark any eggs you or your neighbour intends to hatch under her. Just a cross with a pencil will do. Then if any of the other birds lay in the same nest box as this gal you will be able to see which eggs she is incubating and which ones are from the other girls. Then when you or your neighbour have arranged broodie accommodation away from the rest of the flock you can move her with her marked eggs.

Orchardlady. :)

xx
hen sitting on eggs?? what happens next??

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 13:18
by Ice
xx
Sitting on eggs

Started by Fire2920 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 23:21
by Fire2920
xx
Chicken sitting on eggs

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 14:46
by orchardlady
cheesy
Ducks sitting on eggs

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 13:41
by Honeysuckle

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 36 queries.