New Chicken Owner - I need help

• 14 Replies

tobert51

New Chicken Owner - I need help
« on: January 05, 2011, 20:53 »
Hi there, just had my hens since June 2010 and have some questions and can't find anyone to answer them.  Main one is I have two brown leghorns, they keep going into the next box, but haven't laid any eggs yet.  My two New Hampshire Reds and Marans started laying mid November.  Is this normal?  Am I lucky to be getting eggs at all as I thought hens stopped laying in the winter.  The leghorns are very flighty/jittery birds and don't get the chance to handle them much as they really don't seem to like it even when I try it at the edge of dark.  Tonight I lifted both of them and I couldn't feel their crop, I can on the other 3 hens.  Does this mean they aren't feeding properly (because they look like they are) or could this be linked to them not laying?  Any advice greatly received.  Many thanks in advance, Emma
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 21:19 by tobert51 »
Emma

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: New Chicken Owner - I need help
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 21:58 »
How old are the non layers?
Staffies are softer than you think.

tobert51

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 20:05 »
Hi, I was told at end of June when I bought them that they were all 14 weeks old, so that would make them around 9months old.  I had wanted Welsummers, but the breeder said he didn't have any old enough, though when I have looked at pictures on the internet I can't see much difference, mine have white earlobes.  I thought I would know better when they started to lay eggs as Leghorns lay white eggs, and I def haven't had any white eggs left.  I do get a chocolate egg most days, and it's shell pattern can change, so either that's just the way Marans' eggs are or I have 2 Welsummers and not two Leghorns.  I'm just worried as I have heard about hens being egg bound.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 20:10 »
Another question to Joyfull's   what are you feeding ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

tobert51

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 20:19 »
I am giving them 4 1/2 ozs each daily of layers pellets, then a cupful between the five girls of scratch corn, and then a daily treat of either a few mealworms, porridge, sweetcorn/peas or grapes. Although they don't eat all their pellets each day.

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 20:26 »
the corn is also part of their treats, so you may need to cut back on the treats and get them eating more layers.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 20:33 »
the corn is also part of their treats, so you may need to cut back on the treats and get them eating more layers.

Yes they can be a bit of a pig for treats rather than whats good for them lol So it could be the 2 with nothing much in their crops are the 2 at the back of the pecking order and their waiting for treats but not then getting much ?

You could take it one step further and do what I've done in the past thats to feed nothing but layers until they all start laying. It's winter tho' so that grain keeps them warm at night.

If you can get a look at their vents or put your fingers over the vent see how wide they feel, laying birds are usually a bit wider round there then non layers.

On the other hand they could just be slow starters and are waiting for the spring to start laying.

tobert51

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 20:36 »
Thanks Joyfull - good point.  I just worried the leghorns aren't eating enough hence the treats - do you think that's why they aren't laying yet?  I'm great with dogs, cats, fish etc but chickens are something I have no knowledge of don't want to do the wrong thing with them

tobert51

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 20:43 »
Thanks Richy - You seem to be correct about the pecking order, and I will try the not treats for a day or so and see if that makes a difference.  I can really only spend the weekends out with them and clean their house out every weekend and try and make sure they all eat enough, but will pay particular attention to them on Saturday.  They aren't the easiest to handle and I don't want to stress them out, but will try and get someone to hold them for me while I have a look at their vent - I hope I don't embarrass them!!

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 20:49 »
I have several that are the same age as yours and some are laying and their sisters aren't so be a little more patient. Come the longer days and you will get your eggs (although you do get the odd barren hen  ::)). Have a couple of feeders and drinkers in their run (don't weigh their feed just keep their feeders topped up) and all will be fine  :).

jinty1911

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 20:51 »
I was giving mine too many treats when I first got them (couldnt help it)  :wacko:.  They weren't even interested in the corn never mind their pellets.  That all calmed down and they are very gratefull for a wee handfull of corn now.  Must admit they still get wee treats but few and far between (well a couple of times a week  :D. Cant hep it  :D)
Jinty

tobert51

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 21:07 »
Thanks Joyfull and Jinty - Have to say I tend to do more for my pets that I do for humans.  I'll cool the treats a bit.  I worry too much I know, but I lost a hen just before Christmas and don't want to lose anymore.  Maxine my other Marans had a sore foot one day, I took her to the vet and she was given two injections and I was told to keep her in a cat carrier seperated from the other hens to rest her leg, which I did.  She wasn't any better.  I followed the vets instructions on how to reintroduce her, first day was fine, second day they attacked her and were going to peck her to death, so she ended up being kept separated until she died a month later.  Whatever it was with her foot, she ended up not being able to walk and gradually went downhill.  It was very upsetting for us all - not least because she didn't get a chance to run around the garden in the summer, get into trouble picking plants out of the veg patch etc.  The vet made me feel unable to go back to him as he told me that my hen may have marek's disease and said all my hens would have to be taken away and killed.  I'm not worried about getting eggs for me, just that there isn't anything wrong with my hens and that they aren't in discomfort etc

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 21:30 »

tobert51

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 21:47 »
Thanks Joyful, had a read at the symptoms, but although Maxine's ankle/leg felt hot, there was no swelling or infection in her foot.  Because she wasn't able to walk her elbow developed what looked like a sore, which I used the purple spray on.  Despite everything I tried nothing seemed to help.  So I tried to make her as comfortable as possible and would sit with her listening to radio 2 and chatting to her for company.

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 21:50 »
I would ring round and get yourself a vet who knows about poultry that you feel happy using  :)

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
new chicken owner

Started by loopilizzi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 21:25
by jakinpeter
xx
very new chicken owner

Started by pandoradeus on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 20:18
by pandoradeus
xx
A newby Chicken owner saying Hello

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 16, 2012, 19:54
by cbv8

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 36 queries.