Poorly old Ex-bat

• 9 Replies

Hawkins

Poorly old Ex-bat
« on: May 02, 2010, 17:40 »
Im wondering if one of my girls is coming to the end of her days. we have had her a year and a half so she has had a fab life (what with yogurt friday every other week and cabbage friday in between.) She has been looking really well eating loads and feeling like a big bird but the past day or two she hasnt been eating as much and today she looks listless and is just sitting in the door to the shed looking out. When I picked her up she felt quite thin but her rear end was quite large. I had a bit of a feel but couldnt feel any lumps. She hasnt laid in a long time most of them are just ornamental now.

Sound familiar to anyone that has lost ex bats.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

karlooben

Re: Poorly old Ex-bat
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 18:39 »
hi em , it sounds just like what happens to mine and i know this is horrible to say but she may not go much longer , how old is she do u know mine are about 3 1/2 now  think i have 7 ex batts left from the original 14 . i had one go  quiet  last saturday  { no syptoms } an by sunday morning she had died in pretty much the same position i left her in  thing is i left her in the quantine  house with a freind as i had a gut insticnt she wasnt going to last the nite and i am so sure her friend misses her  :(
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Hawkins

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 19:21 »
I think your right and we are prepared for it. just wondered if anyone had had the same xperience. she doesnt appear to be in pain just seems to be her time.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 19:35 »
Ex batts are fairly long in the tooth by the time they are 4.  She was probably 18 to 24months when she retired so she's approaching this age.  

However they all die of something and age itself isn't what kills them so you could try to diagnose the problem.  Top of my list would be a respiratory problem so listen to her breathing is it rattlely (rales) is there any discharge etc.  You mention she isn't laying so it could well be an egg binding problem which if not caught in time can lead to peritonitis which usually is fatal.  Does her abdomen feel bloated and hot or she waddles with a penguin like stance.  If so it's probably an egg binding problem.  If you want to intervene you should take her to a vet asap but if not and she deteriorates further culling her may be kinder.  

If you have any antibiotics such as Baytril, Tylan or Aueromycin you could try that and see if there's any improvement after around 3 days but you shouldn't let her suffer without seeking professional help.
HF
Truth through science.

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 19:36 »
Hi, I lost one of my ex batts just yesterday. I had her for 3 possible 4 years. She went exactly as you explained very quiet a bit listless, came home from work and she'd gone - bless her. At least she had a few years of freedom and the good life.
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

karlooben

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 19:48 »
mine never had any signs of anything including egg binding or rattles she just went quiet and died , i was going to take her to the vet late sunday morning when they opened but it was to late by then .

Hawkins

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 20:01 »
Ive had an ex-bat with egg peritonitus and have all the meds left over from her so will give it a go see how she is. theres no harm in trying.

she hasnt laid for months and months. just thought she had stopped.

Ill give her a better check over tomorrow and see how she goes.

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 20:28 »
when one of mine had that she never made it even though we did get to the vet but about 1 hour later from getting home it was to much for her .it is a puzzle when they become ill and there doesnt seem to be any real reason why i suppose the only way round it is to have a post mortem done and then if u ever seem the syptoms again u know what it is  :wub: i have really considered doing that but they are expensive .

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 22:14 »
mine never had any signs of anything including egg binding or rattles she just went quiet and died , i was going to take her to the vet late sunday morning when they opened but it was to late by then .

Like many animals who live in social groups they are very good at hiding sickness and by the time it shows they are well on the way down and if it's something serious it's often too late.
HF

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 22:17 »
I can empathise with your situation.  One of mine died today quite unexpectedly.  Good luck with trying to help her.
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
poorly hen

Started by samuria on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 17, 2015, 12:06
by Sassy
xx
Poorly Hen

Started by Debz on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 22:02
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Poorly hen???

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 10:13
by Kathie

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 38 queries.