Broody hen & chicks

• 1 Replies

geri

Broody hen & chicks
« on: May 04, 2009, 17:11 »
Have spent all weekend  moving and building larger better run for my two ladies with the idea of getting two more POL next weekend. Now my Light Sussex has gone broody and I was wondering if it would be possible to introduce chicks to her? and how difficult it would be to raise them as I don't have any first hand experience in this (only what I have read ). Not keen on buying hatching eggs in case they all turn out to be boys. Or should I just be sensible and go for the POL as I had planned. Any advice, comments would be welcome

Foxy

Re: Broody hen & chicks
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 17:22 »
Well broody hens generally know what they are doing when it comes to brooding and caring for chicks. The probelm arises when you realise how many boys you have! As a rule of thumb expect a ration of 60:40 male v female sometimes the male ratio can be a lot higher. You would also need separate accomodation for your broody hen - a little fox proof arc is fine, and them somewhere for them when they are older before integrating them with the other chooks. I have to say though it is very rewarding! :D

xx
new chicks n broody hen!!

Started by lushlu on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 10:50
by lushlu
xx
How soon can I put chicks under a broody

Started by Thingy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 21:46
by Thingy
xx
Day old chicks under broody hen

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:24
by joyfull
xx
Broody hen - but don't want chicks

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 13:26
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 34 queries.