help my chicken got bit by a dog

• 25 Replies

alotment shed

Re: help my chicken got bit by a dog
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 22:31 »
well i have got another allotment so i moved my chikens and the runs over to the new ones i secured it so chickens wouldnt get in and was workin on it but the pitt bull pulled and bite and got in by the time i had turned and seen it all i saw was the dog going in then the chickens went mad i couldnt get in fast enought and by the time i did the dog had bite one and chached 2 out of the hole it made to get in . i found them tho wich was lucky . sorry about my spelling im dislexic and cant spell to well .  how do i put my locasion on here ? im still learning on here thank you:)

poultrygeist

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 22:35 »
If you go into your profile (the face beneath your name and number of posts on the left) and then click on "forum profile information" you can add it into the location box and don't forget to save it ! :)

No probs on the spelling. We can always check with you if there's anything uncertain.

Rob 8)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 22:37 »
If you can't manage that just tell us and I'll add it for you !

alotment shed

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 22:43 »
think i have done it :) how much should i pay for a chicken ? thats laying ?  didnt no wether to ask the question or not people will get sick of me im so in to the allotment lol and my chickens

Foxy

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 11:17 »
Hi how is your poorly hen this morning? Is she eating and drinking well? Let us know if you need any help. If you have any germolene at home (its not expensive from a chemist or supermarket) Clean the wound carefully with salty,warm water and smear germolene to help protect and keep the wound clean.

About the cost of a hybrid they do vary,I am not sure about suppliers your way -but round my way they very from £8.50 to £13.00 ish. Some places like garden centres are more expensive so it is worth shopping around. ;)

poultrygeist

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 14:00 »
If you look on the suppliers' list

http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/chicken/Poultry_Breeders/index.php

You can see if any are near you. We bought our 6 from GrannieAnnie who is just to the west of Boston. Her chickens are excellent and you'll not go short of eggs.
Just be careful about dogs ! :D

I hope your hen is progressing ok. Do you think the flesh will need pulling back together ?

Rob 8)

alotment shed

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 20:18 »
seems to be fine to day shes walking ok eatting just not jumping up or any think to much e.g on to a perch or any think .

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 20:34 »
Glad to hear your hen is on the mend.  Needs some more time to get over it by the sounds of it though.  Keep the wound clean and it sounds like she should be ok.  Lucky this time but I would revise the strength of your netting or fencing.  Plenty of info on that on this site.  Fingers crossed for you.
mrs.ploppy

alotment shed

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 20:50 »
is there a place on this site where there is pictures of peoples chickens and coupes ? as i realy would like to see other peoples stuff ? if so how do i get there lol thank you so much for all your help and info

poultrygeist

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 20:55 »
You can post pictures in any thread but Chicken Chat is the forum for showing off your chickens and coops so that's a good place to start.

The Chicken Photos thread is here...
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=2809.0

Enjoy :)

Rob 8)

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 21:02 »
Hi, it isn't as expensive as people think to take a hen to a vet. Sometimes one shot of baytril and one consultation will do the trick and if you weigh that up against the cost of a hen and the eggs she lays I think you will find that it would be worth it. If, like Rob said you talk to the vet about costs then they will be upfront about treatment and outcome.
More hens are being taken to the vets as there are many more poultry keepers and so there is a better chance of seeing a poultry vet. Also if you are in a rural - ish area the vet nurse and or receptionist will probably keep hens too so will understand what you will need in an event such as this. Nic.

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Is my chicken ok??

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 17:22
by mo-jo
xx
How do I know the age of a chicken?

Started by Neelam on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 28, 2013, 10:49
by Sassy
xx
Chicken help!

Started by lianne1978 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 12:23
by walker

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 39 queries.