help my chicken got bit by a dog

• 25 Replies

alotment shed

help my chicken got bit by a dog
« on: March 21, 2009, 21:25 »
hi i was down the alotment when a dog got in my chicken pen.  it cashed my birds and bit one :(  i grabed the dog and got it out then went to my chickens aid it has a bite mark it has broke shin and gone in to the muscel it is about half inch split in it.  what should i do its eating and drinking but just sitting around same place all the time i have to give the food near her and drink. should i kill her ? if so how? or do i let her see if she gets better ? i just dont want her to suffwer but i dont want to kill her .  please help i dont no what i can do to help her ? the cut is on top of her black under top of wing .

poultrygeist

Re: help my chicken got bit by a dog
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 21:29 »
Obviously upsetting for you lotty shed.

She sounds in a bad way. I think it may be beyond first aid. Wait for further advice but without extensive vet care she may just become infected.

Rob

alotment shed

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 21:32 »
il be honest i havent got the funds to spend hundreads at vets on a cgicken it sounds bad because you should be able to pay for a pet if its un well but i cant pay vet bills
i feel like it may have to be cut loses on it :( i have no idea how to kill them tho :(  i realy not likeing this idea

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 21:43 »
You're not alone about vet bills.

Whereabouts are you and do you know any experienced poultry keepers ?

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 21:44 »
I would first separate the hen from the others as they would be drawn to the wound and peck it.  Give her time, peace and quiet with food and water to hand.  Keep wound clean using cotten wool and salt in some cooled boiled water.  If the wound is cleaned and kept clean then infection  can be kept minimal.  You will need the vet should it start to look red, angry or pus, smelly etc.  The bird will need lots of rest as anything like this sends them into shock a bit.  They do huddle down and look very upset.  Time will tell but without a trip to vets this is the best advice I can give you.  Cleaning the would should be twice a day making sure nothing gets in it.  If not eating well temp with treats, cat food, corn, porrage etc.  Don't give up yet as it is early days after such an attack.  Good luck.
mrs.ploppy

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 21:48 »
I've just re-read it. I thought you said she had a broken shin (it's late :wub:). Is it broken skin ?

If it just torn flesh, then I agree with mrs ploppy.

Rob

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 21:52 »
Agree with Mrs Ploppy,very good advice.

A vet will probably give her some antibiotics, it wont cost very much, maybe £20. Try and call one and explain the problem to them.

Roughly were are you based??

alotment shed

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 21:55 »
yeah skin sorry its late and been long day english not best at this time lol

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 22:08 »
Dont worry! :D

Let us know how you get on, always someone on to offer advice!

Try and keep her warm and comfy away from the others for the time being. The after effects of the dog attack will be very stressful for her so she will need some peace and quiet to help her recover.

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 22:10 »
Would keeping her in a dark place be good ?

Rob

alotment shed

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 22:15 »
thank you so much  for your in put i will put her on her own tomorow .  do i need to cover her or anythink ? to keep her warm ? as shes down the alotment and in the sheds not in the sun lighjt out side

treacleminer

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 22:16 »
Hi
Sorry to hear your chickens got attacked - hopefully all the advice you have been given will help and she'll be fine in time.

You may want to look in the 'poultry information'  section - one of the threads (by Muntjac) gives info on dispatching - hopefully you won't need to use it this time.  A quick read through so you have some idea of whether or not it would be an option for you to undertake the job yourself if you feel a chicken is suffering on another occasion could be useful.

Hope she's better soon.
TM

poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 22:20 »
Sound advice TM.  :)

If you can post an update tomorrow as soon as you can in case you need any further advice. Bearing in mind the weather may keep people away from the forums but I'm sure someone will be around to help. :)

Rob 8)

alotment shed

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 22:23 »
yeah i will keep posting info as of what has happend and what the cut goes like just incase i need more info thank you so much im hooked on this forum now i will never leve the people on here are very freindly and its good to veiw all over coments and add my own on things i know .

poultrygeist

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 22:26 »
If you can get any photos posted up it'll all help.

Is your run now secured against a further dog attack ?
Did it get in through an open door or did it bite through the wire ?

If you need any advice on making it more secure, we're happy to help in any way we can.

Rob

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
sad
Help, my chicken is not herself!

Started by azakeen1980 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 09:43
by hjobri2
xx
Chicken help

Started by irish rose on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 22:31
by irish rose
xx
i saw something on my chicken!!

Started by nic n dave on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2012, 16:22
by Beano

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 34 queries.