tomatoes !

• 13 Replies

jay001

• Experienced Member
tomatoes !
« on: August 02, 2014, 13:34 »
this is my first year of growing successfully tomatoes as the past 3 years have ended up with nothing they look really healthy and strong but should they not be turning red by now ! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

brianbishop

• Experienced Member
Re: tomatoes !
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 15:03 »
Depends when they were planted. I sowed my toms 5 March ,planted out in P/T 6 may. Picked my first tomato on the 20 July, and they are all now coming on.
Bish

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 15:41 »
Apart from the January sown Gartenperle, I've only had a few - the rest are stubbornly green.

They are beginning to look a lighter green/yellowish, so they are on their way  :)

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 15:52 »
Started picking last week and this is today in the back garden

What I don't understand why is it the ones out of the sun inside the plant seem to turn first?
2014-08-02 Toms in the back garden.jpg
2014-08-02 Toms in the back garden 2.jpg
2014-08-02 Beefsteak.jpg
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 15:53 by cadalot »

missmoneypenny

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 17:30 »
I've noticed that too Cadalot. Maybe they don't want to be stolen!

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 17:41 »
I went down to the allotment today as I've been watching a nice big beefsteak tom going yellow, to orange and on it's way to a nice red colour and the allotment Basil Brush has eaten the bottom of it  :nowink: I was devastated   :( and annoyed  >:( and muttered word I can't use here  :mad:

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 18:25 »
sos folks I forgot to enclose a photo lol.
reduce 2.jpg

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 18:44 »
Depends when they were planted.

Depends also on the variety. I now only grow ones that are described as "early." I've been picking my Stupice and Galina for a couple of weeks but my Purple Ukrainian tomatoes are not yet showing any sign.

They were planted a the end of March and planted out end of May. (All are outdoor in pots).

3759allen

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 23:55 »
mine seem slow to ripen this year despite being sown and planted out a lot earlier than last year.

i started picking mine last week, the plants sown later are still no where near being red yet.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 09:29 »
I am glad it's not just me then, I have finally got some red ones coming from the ones I out in the polytunnel and a few are just starting to turn in the greenhouse.
I have shading all over my greenhouses this year would this make a difference do you think? If so I may take some down.

Snoop

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 12:11 »
I went down to the allotment today as I've been watching a nice big beefsteak tom going yellow, to orange and on it's way to a nice red colour and the allotment Basil Brush has eaten the bottom of it  :nowink: I was devastated   :( and annoyed  >:( and muttered word I can't use here  :mad:

Birds have pecked at quite a lot of our low-hanging fruit. Might not necessarily be Mr Brush. He'd be more likely to take the whole thing.

cadalot

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 16:58 »
Looks more like a Brush mouth full than and Bird mouth full to me and it's only one, plus he has been digging up my neighbours potatoes to play with - scratch marks all over, plus the leather workmans  glove they play with is doing the rounds one neighbours had it, I've had it and now the other neighbour has had it.

In addition there are piles of fox sh1t everywhere .... I rest my case for the prosecution my lord.
2014-08-03 (04) Fox eaten Beefsteak.jpg
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 16:59 by cadalot »

Snoop

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 17:05 »
Looks like the evidence is irrefutable. I thought our dog were having a go at our toms, but it turned out to be birds. Mind you, they might think fair's fair, seeing as they got very few of our cherries this year.

AK9

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 09:31 »
First year of growing toms and it looks good so far.

Two plants bought from garden centre have started turning red (tried "sweet olive" and it is not bad ) and two plants raised from seeds are progressing. Hope the weather lasts because it looks very promising!

xx
Dry set on Tomatoes

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 20:04
by azubah
xx
tomatoes

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 25, 2015, 08:11
by spuriousmonkey
smiley
Tomatoes

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 16, 2016, 13:40
by Goneterseed
xx
Tomatoes

Started by Baldy007 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 16, 2016, 12:42
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 36 queries.