poorly hen?

• 27 Replies

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
poorly hen?
« on: March 17, 2013, 19:26 »
Hi all,
I'm new to keeping chickens & have noticed a problem with one of my girls (blacktail - sold 4 weeks ago as Point of lay) She is eating /drinking well. Her poo seems normal but she spends a lot of time hunched with puffed up feathers . She moves around but will stop & sleep often. Have stopped giving treats - just layers pellets & added cider vinegar to water.

Any advice please?

A worried Mrs. Chook  :(
Keep calm & talk to chickens :)

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Re: poorly hen?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 19:46 »
Definitely signs of a poorly chook.  Sorry I can't be any more help than that.  Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will be a long shortly.  If it was me, I'd take her to the vet tomorrow.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 19:57 »
She may be having difficulty in laying her first egg.  You could try a warm bath for around half an hour to relax her muscles.  Make sure you gently towel dry and finish off with a cool hairdryer.

Do check closly for any other symptoms.  Check she doesn't have any unwanted visitors on her or in the coop.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 19:58 »
Have you felt under her wing for temperature? Giver her a good examination for any signs of damage or parasites. Are you sure she is eating/drinking? If so, that is good news and I would suspect this is caused by the move. It can stress chx out to be in a new environment. Is she getting bullied?

As you are new to keeping hens I would advise vet too if possible. As you get more experienced you will be able to tell more about when you can safely wait to see if things develop, and when you really need a vet. At this time I would play it safe.

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 20:07 »
Thanks. Feathers seem mite/lice free. Treated the hen house etc with diatom when we got them four weeks ago . Would the move unsettle  her this late ? She runs up when we're outside & seems happy to be handled . Re: laying + her comb & wattles are still small. Can u bath a hen?

All great advice & will try anything!!

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 20:13 »
Yes they love a bath, just enough to cover her underside and vent area and not too hot. 

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 18:41 »
Took Bea to the vet. She was laying down & not in a good way. Vet wasn't hopeful after gluecose & a warm kennel she is in better posture , not puffed, chatting etc. Will leave her with vet overnight & collect her tomorrow . Vet has recommends worming - which i am onto.
Fingers crossed.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 19:18 »
My fingers are crossed too x

grinling

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 22:33 »
Talk to the people you bought her off as she might not be to keen on the new food. Some prefer mash to pellets and some prefer a certain kind. Do the others go near her or leave her isolated? Does she go for the corn?
Is she wheezing or have runny eyes?

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 05:57 »
She eats the pellets (treats too). the supplier supplied us with the food the girls were eating . She does go near the others and the others near her. But she does wonder round on her own. The vet has checked that her nose , eyes etc are clear. Looking forward to getting her home later!

Fingers crossed.

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 10:30 »
I hope she is well enough for you to collect today.   :)

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 18:28 »
How is she? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 19:12 »
She's home!! :) she looks so much better &seems stronger !! I have put a hot water bottle in with them tonight ...hope this is okay?! We also have our first egg today -from betty (our white sussex ) very exciting !

Hopefully she Will have a good night & we'llhave our Bea back!!

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 10:17 »
Really good news your girl has picked up, and congratulations on your first egg, (I remember ridiculous elation with my first, ringing round my family and texting friends the good news!!!).  Just out of interest, how much did the vet bill amount to?

mrs chook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 19:36 »
She has taken another dip :( keeps falling down & sleeping . Eating & drinking though . We are keeping her in the cat box in our kitchen tonight . Don't know what  else to do. Vets bill nearly £100. I think we just need to keep her warm & comfortable ...so distressing .

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
poorly hen

Started by cheekychick22 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 16:07
by jhub
xx
HELP! Poorly Hen

Started by Wildeone on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 11:04
by Jellyhead
xx
Poorly hen ?

Started by The Good Life on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 22:31
by The Good Life

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 34 queries.