Mini greenhouses - life expectancy

• 9 Replies

Ema

Mini greenhouses - life expectancy
« on: February 09, 2013, 18:25 »
Not sure if this is the best place to post about this?

Every year I buy a mini greenhouse normally wilkos. I leave them out over winter because I put some of my tender plants in them. the plastic covers last a few months and then get gaffa taped and the metal uprights of the frame which is now 10monh old max is rusty all over.

Has anyone brought or made a mini greenhouse that actually lasts? because I'm throwing money at these each year and getting miffed

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
Re: Mini greenhouses - life expectancy
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 18:47 »
I have a wilko's one that is left outside year round, bought 2011.  New cover every year and a bit of Gaff holding the poles together. Haven't found it's rusted too much.
Will be surprised if it last the whole of this next growing season though
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 22:25 »
Mine is left out on the plot, well lashed down and it's only been blown to bits once but I retrieved most of the bits and put it back together. The cover got shredded so I got a new one but it was reinforced and much stronger (from Wilko)

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 22:43 »
Hi Ema - I found four mini grow house skins on my plot and bits of frame - My wife has bought two for me one for home to start off and another for the allotment. My plan is to harvest double glazed windows and make cold frames which should last a few years and extend the planting year for me. 

yaxley

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 22:47 »
Bought one from £1 stretchers been out all year still looks as good as new no rips or tears or rust ...
Grow organic as nature intended

Ema

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 10:30 »
Think I will haw a good look around this year and see if I can find one that's all plastic framed.

I do have a home made cold frame but find the greenhouse a great space saver

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 11:21 »
Siting them out of the wind does help quite  alot in preventing the cover ripping

The other thing is that where the cover touches the metal frame it can get very hot in the summer and cause damage. Taping the frame of having a plastic frame does help this.

Plastic frames are not so strong though of course
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 15:15 »
I've had one which must have lasted 10 years.  Probably gone through maybe 4 covers in that time?  It's been against a house wall, tied to a drainpipe so it doesn't blow over.  I've put clingfilm round the tight corners at the top, to prevent damage to the cover, and some of the plastic on the metal tubes is flaking off, but it seems OK still (famous last words, touch wood etc etc! )
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

lottielearner

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 18:47 »
I bought one from Homebase 2 years ago and if it wasnt for the cat scrabbling up it to sit on the roof all would have been well! Had to renew cover last year and probably will again this year to deal with the leaks but for the money very happy with it!
Chuck it in - it won't grow in the packet!

Ema

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 14:41 »
Well having brought a replacement cover I realise wilkos are now making their own greenhouse and separate covers at different sizes to the old ones they were selling.

Unable to get a replacement cover in my local garden centres I had a look online - the new woven pvc covers were £14.99 so being impatient I have just gone to homebase (nearest place that sells them without traveling 20 miles each way) and brought a new 4 tier mini greenhouse with woven pvc cover for £22.99. And will use the old one for hardening off

If this one makes it through the summer the I will buy a spare cover from homebase online for the inevitable zip rip

xx
Mini greenhouses

Started by noshed on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post August 15, 2007, 20:28
by Beanzie
xx
Half price mini plastic greenhouses

Started by Lee G on Frugal Living

42 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 09:05
by Ropster
clip
ASDA & ARGOS selling off Mini Greenhouses & Cold Frames

Started by cadalot on Frugal Living

16 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 08:00
by Sparkyrog
xx
plastic greenhouses at B&M

Started by sunshineband on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 18:54
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 36 queries.