We are fostering an injured dog- sad news

• 75 Replies

maxyboo

Re: We are fostering an injured dog
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 09:00 »
Sounds like you are doing a great job. Have they given him an antibiotic injection? I wouldn't worry too much about him not eating yet. You are keeping him hydrated which is the main thing.

Oliveview

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 10:11 »
We took Ratón/Poppet outside- our dogs looked on but didn´t get too close, they know he is ill.  The wound on his neck is leaking fluid, it is clear though, well a little pink, but not gunky like it is infected.  He has antibiotics, 1 tablet cut into 3 and a 3rd twice a day- again I ground it down and added it to his special water.  I offered him some boiled rice (with chicken) and he turned his nose up, so I put some on my hand and he ate it, just about 1/2 tsp  but he ate  :D :D
Boy does he stink of dog/antiseptic- our bathroom does too now!  :(  I washed the floor with water and bleach, Jim had a quick shave and wash while the bathroom was free- luckily we have an outside loo  we can use. 
The flies soon appeared when we were outside with Ratón/Poppet  :(  He is now trying to wash his sore paw- yesterday he just lay on his side and looked like he was dying, today, as Jim said, if he were a betting man he would put money on him being ok.  Fingers crossed still.

Pamela

Springlands

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 11:40 »
Fingers crossed here as well - from what you have said he does sound a little better. You are so good to look after him.  :)

Oliveview

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 12:58 »
Natalia came from the refugio lunchtime to check on Ratón/Poppet and while cleaning the wounds discovered fly eggs in a wound  :ohmy:  He was very good and let her clean him up, but at the end when we wanted to change his cover (the third time today the washing machine has gone on for covers) he growled, he had had enough- he has just moved to the other side of the bathroom, so a clean cover is down ( a quilt cover a friend gave me that I have not used) and an old towel over the top, so hopefully I can change the towel and not have to wash the quilt cover. 
He has been a little sick, so she is back later on with medicine to stop the sickness and more antibiotic cream for the puncture wounds.
We will take him to the vet tomorrow and see what he says, if he says it is better he is put to sleep we will do that, sad as it will be, but we will do what the vets says is best.   I know what dog I would like to put to sleep instead  :mad:

Pamela

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 13:22 »
Awww, poor little thing.  I know you and Jim will do whatever is best for him Pamela!

Oliveview

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 14:04 »
He looks so sad since he has been ´cleaned out´  poor lad.  I am giving him the fluids about 1 tsp  every 15 min- he is swallowing some of it, so at least he should not dehydrate.  Thank goodness there are no flies here, makes a change!  My sister arrives tomorrow night, hope she doesn´t want to go out and about- we are a bit  housebound now!

Pamela

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 15:15 »
Off topic- what is your picture Impd? 

Its a potato from the forum choice of avatars. :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 15:22 »
Lots of good wishes for this little chap, seems like he's appreciating the TLC. I really hope he pulls through and starts to feel happier soon.  :)

Oliveview

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 17:00 »
He has changed sleeping places 3 times-so maybe that is a good sign, if he were dying he wouldn´t move would he?  We will take him to the vet tomorrow.

Pamela

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 17:02 »
He does sound as if he is improving.  You are doing all you can but I agree that it should be the vets decision.  Fingers crossed that he makes a good recovery.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Oliveview

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 20:35 »
Natalia came this evening and cleaned the wounds again and packed them out with gauze.  She covered the gauze loosely with more gauze, which promptly fell off- he was standing on his cover looking like a 4 year old had been playing nurse/Dr with him  :lol: :lol: :lol:  He had bits hanging off everywhere   :lol: :lol: :lol:
He is fast asleep again, the swelling ig going down under his chin, it isn´t dripping anymore.  He has moved his position in the bathroom a few times.  Can´t get him to eat anything.  Still giving him the Aquarius water 2ml every 15 min or so.  When he stands up he is sick- just a little.  The vet that treated him is on holiday tomorrow so he will have to go to the vet we use.   

Pamela

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 20:48 »
Glad he has survived the night Oliveview

Good luck at the vet's  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 22:00 »
keeping my fingers crossed for him xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Oliveview

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 22:50 »
I have just given Ratón/Poppet another 1/2 paracetamol this time I didn´t ground it down, so I hope he can keep it down better. He has had another 2ml of the water stuff, he has only peed once today, but I guess there is nothing to pee if he isn´t drinking much.  Off to bed now, will get up through the night to feed him some more water.

Pamela

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 23:58 »
All the very best of luck for the little feller
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

xx
PACO IS ADOPTED ... YES I AM SHOUTING THE GOOD NEWS!- now bad news

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

45 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 15:38
by Oliveview
xx
Fostering dogs

Started by twissle on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 16:08
by twissle
xx
Fostering another dog for a few days...and now another dog

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

22 Replies
Last post July 14, 2013, 22:06
by ANHBUC
xx
Good News Bad News

Started by cissie on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 15:14
by cissie

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 39 queries.