F1 Seed for re-growth next year??

• 4 Replies

slugtrap

« on: November 17, 2008, 11:02 »
I've just collected the bean seed from some climbing french beans that went to seed. What will happen next year if I try to grow them? Nothing? Abnormal plants? Poor croppers? I remember reading something somewhere that you can't re-crop F1 hybrids - help please...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 11:05 »
Hope this helps - courtesy of www.growveg.com

F1 hybrid varieties are commercially produced seeds that combine certain traits of two parent plants such as resistance to disease, pests or bolting and a tendency to produce heavy yields. Beetroot ‘Boltardy’ and carrot ‘Resistafly’ are examples of F1 hybrid varieties. F1 varieties can usually be identified by the variety name or by a close reading of the seed packet. Saving seed from F1 hybrids will not produce seeds that ‘come true’ when they produce vegetables. F1 seeds can be infertile and some will produce different traits from the original parents that are less favourable to the ones for which the hybrids were initially developed.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 11:07 »
you can if you want but no guaranteeing what you'll end up with, that's the thing with F1's you see.   I personally wouldn't bother, but if you have an enquiring mind then have a go, but don't try and make it your main crop or you could end up beanless  :D

If you look at Real Seeds web site as they only sell non-F1 seed so that any crops can have seed saved for growing on in subsequent years.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 11:42 »
F1 varieties will not breed true.
F1 is just what it says, the first generation.
A monk called Mendal first established how plants behave when they cross. You may remember learning about his experiments with sweet peas in your GCSEs, or in my case 'O' levels.
Cross two plants and the first generation all look the same. The second generation are varied and may show features of either parent and also recessive genes not seen in either parent become apparent.
F1 plants are very useful to large scale growers because they are all even and usually all ripen at the same time.

Often one of the parents is only brought in just to give disease resistance or a feature such as dwarfness or tallness but is itself poor quality. If you sow your saved seed you may get some of these.

The plant breeders trial thousands of crosses but only a very few ever make the grade.

slugtrap

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 13:50 »
Thanks guys (& girls!), I don't think I'll waste the time or compost! I'll just grow a fresh packet. In fact looking at the seed catalogue I appear to have got a little confused and it's not an F1 bean anyway - muppet!! It was my greenhouse tomato I was thinking of!! Maybe I'll have a go after all?? It would be great to be self-sustaining in seeds? - Thx.

xx
Strange growth for the time of year.

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

49 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 08:29
by Auntiemogs
question
Saving shallots from this year's seed-sown to plant next year

Started by Beepee on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2021, 10:19
by cc
xx
Open Pollinated Seed that you keep on with Year after Year...

Started by spud on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 16, 2024, 11:59
by oldgrunge
xx
This year's heritage seed

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 07, 2018, 14:44
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 38 queries.