Igenix small deep-fat fryer...

• 6 Replies

Growster...

Igenix small deep-fat fryer...
« on: November 23, 2017, 06:38 »
We have one of these for smaller stuff, like chips etc.

I tried some small cod fillets in a proper batter yesterday, but while it looked and went very well, the batter tended to drop through the mesh, and eventually jam up the process of actually getting it out of the basket without breaking it all up!

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to do this please? We use olive oil in the kit!

(It makes fabulous chips though..;0)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 14:35 by Growster... »

lettice

Re: Igebix small deep-fat fryer...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 10:03 »
I use this recipe that has been in all my Russell Hobbs deep fat fryers for years.
You can add your own condiments like paprika along with the salt and pepper if you wish.
The 160c temp and coating in flour before the batter stops it sticking.
Also you will notice you can see the fish through the batter once dipped, that is the right consistency.

1 can of beer
150g self raising flour
150g plain flour
500g cod fillets
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix the beer, self raising flour, salt and pepper to form the batter. Let it sit for 20 minutes.
Cut the fish into 2cm wide fillets.
Preheat the oil in the deep fryer to 160°C
Coat each fillet with plain flour, dip it into the batter. Place fillets into the deep fryer basket and cook for 3 minutes or until they are cooked through. Time may vary slightly depending on thickness.
When cooked, tilt basket for a few minutes to drain.
Serve at once on warmed plates with lemon and a tartare sauce.

https://uk.russellhobbs.com/recipes/fish/beer-battered-fish

I find the best chips, using my homegrown Sarpo Mira is to use Rapseed oil. It is what most supermarket vegetable oil is now anyway.
All my deep fat fryers have always mentioned not to use olive oil and this is what my current one says.
Don’t use solid cooking oil, fat, butter, margarine, or olive oil.
Olive oil generally contains too much water, and it’s smoking point is a bit low for deep frying
Buy a good quality liquid cooking oil suitable for deep frying, like vegetable or corn oil.
Don’t mix oils of different types, as they’ll have different temperature characteristics.

jaydig

Re: Igenix small deep-fat fryer...
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 16:57 »
We have one of these for smaller stuff, like chips etc.

I tried some small cod fillets in a proper batter yesterday, but while it looked and went very well, the batter tended to drop through the mesh, and eventually jam up the process of actually getting it out of the basket without breaking it all up!

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to do this please? We use olive oil in the kit!

(It makes fabulous chips though..;0)

I bought one of these fryers a couple of weeks ago, because my  hubby loves his chips (although consumption is rationed because of health implications), and it is becoming vey expensive to put the oven on just for chips. He would rather have them fried, so the agreement is that he eats less and I'll do them in the fryer.  I had the same problem as you, Growster, the first time I fried my own battered fish fillets, but found it worked better if I waited until the oil was at maximum temperature, then, with the basket already lowered into the bottom of the fryer, I lowered the fish into the oil as slowly as I could.  After about 30 seconds I gave the basket a shake to loosen anything that may have stuck to the basket at the bottom, and this method seems to work.

I even made jam doughnuts the other day, and they were delicious, but absolutely huge. I hadn't realised the recipe was American, and although I used the size of cutter recommended, by the time the doughnuts had proved they were enormous.  There's nothing like a really fresh doughnut.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 05:51 »
Lettice, that is all very interesting, as I didn't know about the corn oil preference at all! The olive oil does stay fresh however, and the smell of deep-frying in the stuff is really pleasant though... It's been in there some time though, so perhaps a change is on the cards anyway!

Like the recipe, and tips - thank you! I'd got a bit disillusioned with home-made batter and went out and bought some (paaah - you say), but it really was very good!

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 05:56 »
Many thanks Jay! I did wonder if the 'lowering' technique might work, but it gets a bit hot there doesn't it! Also, you never quite know if the oil is going to rise up quickly - there's not a lot of spare room!

I agree about limiting consumption as well, we don't ever go overboard, well sometimes... The prblem is that the local chippe's stuff is awful, and at least we're close to the real thing at home now, except that it was welded to the basket! I'll use your methods next time!

I want to try prawns next time, or goujons, as they are easier to handle!

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 19:59 »
Growster, I bought a very cheap pair of tongs from the poundshop, and use these to lower the fish into the hot fat.  I burn my hands often enough on the oven shelves when putting cakes and bakes in without frying my fingers.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 12:39 »
Growster, I bought a very cheap pair of tongs from the poundshop, and use these to lower the fish into the hot fat.  I burn my hands often enough on the oven shelves when putting cakes and bakes in without frying my fingers.

We have a pair of scissor tongs, which have been around for ages, so they get the job of the lowering!

It is a neat bit of kit though, I love the way it does just a small amount, it's perfick for one serving...

xx
Low fat fryer

Started by gypsy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 20:00
by chrissie B
xx
Knee deep in raspberries

Started by jackiestagg on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 20:51
by jackiestagg
xx
small potatoes..what to do with them?

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 11:44
by sunshineband
xx
small cafe

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 21:13
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 40 queries.