Replacement tech

• 10 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Replacement tech
« on: February 28, 2020, 21:45 »
Hi All, would value your thoughts on 3 linked questions that have cropped up with my Mum's current and potential replacement phone / tablet kit.  Thanks in advance.

Her current kit:
  • Mum has an ancient iPad2, which is still working OK except for Safari - which seems to close after a few seconds and reverts the iPad2 to an old screensaver photo.  So she's thinking of replacing it.
  • She also has a non-smart mobile phone, which she is thinking of replacing with a smartphone.
  • She also has an old Fuji camera, which she thinks doesn't take great photos (there's probably an element of truth to this, but also an element of operator competence).

1. We have agreed that the iPad needs to be replaced, whether with another iPad or another make.  Am I right in thinking that the vast majority of tablets are Android operating system?  Any suggestions as to good Android makes?  She's not wedded to the Apple brand as it's so much more expensive than the alternatives.

2. She is minded to get a phone that has a decent enough camera to replace her existing standalone camera.  I have pointed out that you generally need to pay a lot of money to get the sort of camera quality - at night time, speed, etc. as well as during the day - she thinks she wants, so  this is not necessarily a good strategy. 

She also thinks that she will get a lot more phone for her money if she pays a lot more. Given that she's a bit of a technophobe who will not use even 20% of the phone's functionality, I've tried to tell her that a relatively basic smartphone in the £100-200 price bracket would give her everything - apart from the camera - that she will ever need for her usage.  (For example, I've been really happy with my Motorola G Play 6 apart from its camera, which is a compromise I was willing to make).

Any thoughts on this too?

3. Finally, I know that Apple devices talk to each other and can be synced etc.  But what about Android?  Do devices using the Android operating system sync, or do they have to be from the same maker (e.g. a Samsung phone and tablet)?  Or is this irrelevant and you just need a @gmail.account to do so?  etc.  She currently has a yahoo email address and would probably not be interested in swapping to a gmail account as a main account (even though it's essential to get an Android device working properly).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 21:46 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jezza

Re: Replacement tech
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 23:01 »
Hello I'm not very good with technology but I found that my Samsung Galaxy A3 has a very good camera front and back in with o2 they offered me a tablet when I got this phone new I declined the offer has I'd just got a new lap top computer I have my phone set up as a hot spot for broad band so can take laptop out and use it where ever there's a signal it's maybe best to ask a phone providers advice the will do a good deal they're desperate for customers  jezza

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 19:11 »
Yorkie, have a look at the kindle  10 i have one and my wife has, it does every thingwe want it to
wifi / bluetooth /emails just so much to explain here, i yhink it shows you on youtube,
Colin

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 22:45 »
It may be worth sticking with Apple for the iPad. I know they are more expensive, but they have very good support. It may be worth calling them about your safari issue. They’ll help, and spend ages on it if need be. My daughter is using an iPad 2, and they are still helping me with its little foibles. They even call you at their expense (you book a callback)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 17:04 »
Thanks all for your helpful comments.

Wellington, is there a central Apple phone number that you've used for support, or would she need to go an Apple shop?

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 22:20 »
Thanks all for your helpful comments.

Wellington, is there a central Apple phone number that you've used for support, or would she need to go an Apple shop?

You can do either. If you google ‘apple help’ the support page pops up first, click on which device you want help with and book a call back or a shop appointment.  They are absolutely lovely, and give the impression that nothing is too much trouble, and will talk you through everything very thoroughly.

lettice

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 08:11 »
Re your iPad 2
Safari is well integrated into iOS and if its stuck can slow up or cause slight problems with the device.
The following is a common fix for Safari doing what you are saying.

Go into the Settings.
Scroll down to the Safari tab and select it
On the right panel, scroll down to Clear History and Website Data, select it and select clear when prompted.
Its immediate, so will take you back to settings.
Power down your iPad2 at this point, leave for a few minutes and power back up again.

If you are looking for a new tablet. Apple will set you back £350, whereas an equivalent Android one will be £200+.
One that is popular and is well recommended is the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) 10.1, around £199.
This tablet is currently on Android 9, but will and some have already get Android version 10.

For a smartphone, have a look at the Motorola range. They are low priced but very feature packed. Namely the Motorola g7 range like the Motorola G7 Power SIM Free.
Once again, comes with Android 9, soon to get the latest Android version 10. £129 from John Lewis.

Both of the above come with two year manufacturer guarantees.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 10:47 »
I’ve no experience of android as I use my iPad & iPhone so they sinc together just fine. I’m also happy with the cameras on both but I’m not into nature shots/macros etc. Mine is the iPad Air & I’ve had it 4ish years plus phone which is 2ish years old forget what that is 5s I think . If anything happened to my iPad I’d replace it in the blink of an eye
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:48 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 11:37 »
Any Android phone will sync with any other via a (free) Google account, which also allows syncing via a PC or tablet. Google Photos also gives you unlimited online storage of all your photos, and can be set to back up automatically.

Having a gmail account is optional.

Don't think she would benefit from paying for a top end phone as long as she can find one with a camera which meets her needs (even 'average' smartphone cameras nowadays are probably on a par with her current digital camera.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 22:43 »
Thanks so much one and all  :D

Well, the deed is done and she's bought a replacement iPad.  To be honest, I personally might go for the cheaper Android tablet but she's used to the iPad and at 78 she's not that quick at picking up new technology.  At 200 miles away, I reckon I'll have fewer 'Help what do I do' calls that I can't answer!!

Just got to work out how to transfer data across etc. but will recommend the Apple support to her.

The phone is on hold for a while now.  Lettice, I completely agree re. Motorola - I'm on my second smartphone from them (Moto G6 Play) and am really happy with them; the camera is not great but at that price point you know the compromise you're making.

Thanks again.

grinling

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 23:36 »
If she wants to sync the tablet with a phone she would need an iphone.
Android,hubby just bought Honor 8Sfor £90. camera is good, but no smartphone can match a proper camera

xx
Bossy tech

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post November 20, 2020, 12:37
by New shoot
xx
Video tech

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2021, 18:11
by John
xx
Joint Replacement waiting time for Wales

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post December 22, 2017, 10:46
by John
xx
Neat human trick: temporary reading glasses replacement, the pinhole occluder

Started by Subversive_plot on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2023, 09:00
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 51 queries.