Very soft damsons!

• 8 Replies

Richardm

Very soft damsons!
« on: September 10, 2007, 16:10 »
Hi all...

I'm a complete newbie/amatuer/novice in the whole world of gardening & growing my own, and will have hundreds of (Probably silly!) questions in the very near future!

However, in Warwickshire today, it has been really windy and has blown down a load of damsons from my tree's upper branches. I have used all from the lower branches to make damson vodka last month, but had kinda resigned myself to getting at the fruit at the top due to not fancying climbing a v tall ladder, and other pressing projects in my garden..

My question is, all the damsons that have fell down that are not noticibly damaged, ie, not split, can I use them? If so, what for? I picked one up, gave it a gentle squeeze & it pretty much exploded!

Having inherited a large plot, a greenhouse, various fruit trees as well as 2 ducks & four chucks, I am obv very busy (& confused lol) with all things garden related, but as these damsons are today, all over the place, they seem to be number one priority all of a sudden!  :roll:

Any help would be muchly appreciated!!

Trillium

Very soft damsons!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 19:14 »
If they're that soft, I'd say that a lot of damson plum jam is in order. You can google any number of recipes, or try the recipe section above. And yes, fallen damsons are useable, just wash and discard any bugs - unless you prefer some protein.  :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Very soft damsons!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 19:45 »
Hiya Richard welcome to the forums  :D  can't you make damson wine with 'em ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

muntjac

Very soft damsons!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 21:29 »
they are ripe is all .so use as u would any damson :wink: we have loads on the farm and they are still hard  :cry:
still alive /............

Richardm

Very soft damsons!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 21:42 »
As mentioned, they are extremely soft! Sqiushy in fact!
If this wont be a problem, then jam they will be. I've had great success making jam (for the 1st ever time!) with my warwickshire drooper plums, and as i've got a load of damson voddy already on the go...

The next question will be, what can i do with a load of mixed chilli that are almost ready in the green house? They range from hot to very hot!

Thanks for the answers so far..a friend recommended this site, and I have to say, its the most comprehensive of its kind! I spend almost as much time on here as in the garden!

muntjac

Very soft damsons!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 21:48 »
pick and dry the chilli's /hang the branches up in the shed to dry .pickle them /chop them and freeze /loadssssssssss of thimgs to do with chillies  :wink: check the recipes  in the brown line text above for cooking ideas .. search chilli's on the site using the search tool above .. happy reading and qwelcome to the gang :wink:  :lol:

Scribbler

Very soft damsons!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 21:57 »
After making a record quantity of damson gin, there were still some left over to add to some stewed apples. Lovely combination. Planting raspberry canes soon, so next year we'll have our own raspberry gin if the stuff made with Mr Tesco's finest tastes ok.

Chilli gin - now there's a thought...
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

David.

Very soft damsons!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 08:18 »
My wife tells me that squishy damsons are supposed to be better for making damson jelly, rather than jam.

I prefer them firm enough to be able to press the stones out without squirting juice everywhere for use in wine.

Trillium

Very soft damsons!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 21:39 »
The squishy ones are definitely better jammers. That's why they're the cheapest ones at the market. Any that are firmer cost loads more and don't make as good jam. Squishies are what we use for jam.  8)

xx
DAMSONS. WHAT CAN I DO WITH THEM ?

Started by Eddie Spud on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 16:05
by Tim Munslow
xx
Help I have 19lb of damsons

Started by Beetroot queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

24 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 22:50
by OtheD
question
freezing damsons

Started by uppsiedaisy57 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 21:22
by orchardlady
xx
Bottled damsons going mouldy?

Started by allotmentann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 10:42
by allotmentann

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 39 queries.