home storage

• 8 Replies

lordthanatos

• 1st Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
home storage
« on: September 12, 2011, 12:56 »
hey all hope all is growing well

ive become unstuck as ive just had a load of onions, pumpkins and few others come ready for harvest

but i really have no idea where to store them

i dont have a garage, shed or spare room to use and my kitchen storage is limited at the best of times

i do intend to eat my way through is soonish as its my first year and only grew smallish amounts but next year i really want to use the whole of my plot to keep me going for longer

i will have a shed on the plot in a few weeks but ive heard thats not the best place to store veg?

how do you all keep yours stored? or if you could point me in right direction

thanks all

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: home storage
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 13:26 »
 You can store pumpkins under the bed  ::)  or in a wardrobe, or like me when there are a lot...on top of the dresser and bookcase, they are quite decorative I think :)
As long as they don't freeze or get too hot they're ok. Just check regularly and any that start to get brown markings or visible rot need to be eaten asap.

Onions really need to be kept open to the air or they tend to go mouldy, that's why people string them or not them in a pairs of tights.

Potatoes can be stored in a box built in the shed as long as you make it frost-proof, but onions/pumpkins do store better with airflow.

B_and_D

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 18:43 »
Ditto about keeping your eye on them.  I used to have a lovely pair of hand made Italian leather shoes until an unwatched pumpkin decided to explode over them.  Doh. :blush:

webby139

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:22 »
Hi all,

Just seen the thread and just want a bit clarification on the potatoes.

Would cardboard boxes, like shoe boxes be adaquate to store potatoes in the garage ??

Cheers
Keith

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 07:32 »
Potatoes need to be kept in the dark and safe from freezing. if your garage has a concrete floor, the insulation from a cardboard box would be insufficient, but you coudl stand it on several layers of cardboard. That would help.

If you store veg on the plot in your shed, do be aware that some sites have 'prowlers' who think they can just help themselves to produce  :( :( :(

I keep all mine at home
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 09:11 »
We keep potatoes in shoe boxes or other cardboard boxes with lids (NOT plastic!) on a shelf in an outside cupboard.  However, you need to keep an eye to ensure the mice don't get in there - the best way is to stack the boxes on top of each other somewhere off the floor, and put a weight on the top one so they can't get in!  Pumpkins/marrows also keep well in there - we just sit them on the shelf unwrapped.

webby139

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:39 »
Thanks for that,
Looks like i'll pop em in cardboard boxes and store in my garage on shelves.
That way the'll not be on the concrete floor !!

Cheers

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 09:50 »
If it gets very cold throw some extra wrapping over them, cos even in the garage it can get cold enough to freeze .......Brrrrr

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 09:55 »
hey all hope all is growing well

ive become unstuck as ive just had a load of onions, pumpkins and few others come ready for harvest

but i really have no idea where to store them

i dont have a garage, shed or spare room to use and my kitchen storage is limited at the best of times

i do intend to eat my way through is soonish as its my first year and only grew smallish amounts but next year i really want to use the whole of my plot to keep me going for longer

i will have a shed on the plot in a few weeks but ive heard thats not the best place to store veg?

how do you all keep yours stored? or if you could point me in right direction

thanks all

I stored butternut squash on a South West facing kitchen window ledge - they lasted until late April. The larger squashes were stored in the garage but as someone highlighted, you really do need to keep a "watching brief" to ensure no disasters.

xx
HELP.... Storage of Onions + other home grown veg

Started by Gemma_25 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2009, 14:03
by sunshineband
xx
Storage

Started by Tykelad on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 19:24
by lincolnlad
question
How much storage?

Started by Goldfinger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 05:49
by Goldfinger
xx
Parsnip storage ?

Started by 8doubles on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 12, 2018, 21:29
by DanielCoffey

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 36 queries.