broody hen not sitting on all of her eggs

• 24 Replies

jax86

broody hen not sitting on all of her eggs
« on: July 17, 2011, 17:29 »
I have a Buff Orpington who is sitting on a clutch of 6 hatching eggs; she is definitely broody and spends all her time sitting.
I have noticed however that she does not always sit on ALL the eggs, so I have been moving them around and putting them under her. This is the first time I have allowed my hens to hatch so I am not sure if I am doing the right thing. It doesn’t seem to be the same egg each time and the egg on the edge is cool to the touch. Does this mean that there is a chance that none of the eggs will hatch if left uncovered for any length of time? Would it be better to reduce the clutch and incubate them?
Any advice would be appreciated

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: broody hen not sitting on all of her eggs
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 19:21 »
don't worry she may just be turning them, they will all get the correct amount of heat  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 19:30 »
Hello Jax86 and welcome to the forum  :)
I am not an expert but I'm sure someone with more experience will be along to advise.

I have had broody hens sitting on clutches of eggs.  My instinct is that broody hens will roll the eggs around and if they feel they are getting too hot they will roll them to the edge of the group and roll them back in later.  

My first time I thought the same as you and took an egg out that she seemed to have left at the edge.  Unfortunately it was viable and might well have hatched.  I would leave the broody hen to do her thing.  

Sometimes the broody hen will roll one egg well away from the rest and stop brooding it.  This usually means that the egg is not viable and would not have hatched.  

You might like to try candling the eggs to see if they are developing.

Good luck and keep us posted.  By the way pictures of the chicks are a statutory requirement of this forum  :D

Joyfull, your fast fingers have beaten me again  :lol:
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

jax86

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 20:18 »
Thanks for your advice - I can't believe how worrying all this is but very exciting at the same time.

Photos are a promise

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 08:46 »
I agree with Joyfull. And 6 eggs are not a lot for an Orpington to cope with. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

jax86

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 20:55 »
Hi
Thanks to you all, she is doing really well and seems to be coping ok, I make her come off the nest for about 10 mins or so twice a day to make sure she eats and drinks. So now its just a waiting game untill they hatch. I also read that you are not supposed to touch the eggs at all is this true??

thanks

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 21:15 »
You can touch them to candle them if you like. Do it while your hen is off the nest.

jax86

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 21:26 »
Hi, thanks, can i trouble you with one more question?
When she is off the nest and in the garden with my other 3 girls (a Brahma, Cochin and a Kraienkoppe) the others chase her away, is this because she ruffles her feathers and charges up the garden, or is it because she has spent the last few weeks away from the flock?

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 21:34 »
its because they think she should be sat on the eggs hatching the next generation  :)

jax86

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 23:22 »
LoL :D

jax86

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 22:07 »
Hi
I have now purchased a secondary coop for Mrs Orpington and her babies, when is the best time to introduce her to this new home, now a week and a half before the eggs hatch or wait until the eggs have hatched and move both her and the chicks to their new temporary home?

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 22:14 »
I would move her late in the afternoon in the next day or so and shut her in with her eggs (just done it with one of mine on Sunday). In the morning make sure she comes out to stretch etc and check that she knows where to go back (easier if the broody coop has its own run).

rosie14

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 11:13 »
Hi, my Orpington is broody too (and is set on 5 eggs) and your posts' replies have answered some of my Q.s too so thanks for posting and replies  :nowink:

The first day my girl wasn't sitting on one of the eggs so I moved it back under her no problem. I have been lifting her off twice a day to eat, drink stretch etc and she's not best pleased with me for it lol!! And when I lifted her off this morning she had all 5 eggs under her but all were spread out and not touching, I marked them out of interest to see where they moved to (I'm a first timer lol!!). When I returned her 1/2 hour later to the other end of the run near to her nesting box she eagerly went in and immediately settled onto them. The box entrances are 2/3rd covered at the moment with double layer of towel and so I watched her and she swapped the eggs about rolling them with her beak then popping them back under her. I was totally amazed and in awe. Mother nature is amazing and I feel sad and it's a great shame we as humans have lost so uch or our innate behaviours.

Best of luck with your when are they expected?  :)

jax86

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 01:03 »
The chicks are due to hatch next weekend so fingers crossed all will be fine, if they all hatch I am expecting 2 black cochin, 2 silver laced wyandotte and 2 Vorwerk.

Thanks to all, I so appreciate these forums and the advice and help given

rosie14

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 11:52 »
 :D very exciting. I am tragically more excited than my 3 young children  :blush: that said I am pretty damn sure when the cute little budles arrive I wont get a look in! Thank goodness it's a 3 week turnaround could you imagine waiting a whole 9 months again?!

I eagerly await your post with news :)

xx
Moving a broody sitting on eggs?

Started by pandora on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 14:07
by pandora
xx
Broody hen hopefully sitting on fertile eggs!

Started by shargi59 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 11:57
by Tazzy
xx
2 broody silkies sitting on 1 batch of eggs

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 12:49
by Craigx
xx
How to tell the difference between sitting and broody?

Started by chick with chicks on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 20, 2010, 19:39
by IMOmimey

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 40 queries.