What's wrong with my chickens?

• 9 Replies

FlorenceMarina

What's wrong with my chickens?
« on: August 26, 2012, 15:17 »
Hi, I got 2 new chickens yesterday (I have never owned chickens before so know little) and I noticed today that they are not looking very well. There beaks are wet from runny nostrils and  one of them keeps sneezing or coughing which causes mucus bubbles from its nostrils. They are making a raspy noise while they breath and often cough. They've spent most of the day just sitting outside. They also seem to shake their head a lot and scratch or prune themselves. They have eaten a normal amount and have been drinking normally.  Please help me!!!

splash101

Re: What's wrong with my chickens?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 15:40 »
were they like it when you collected them or is it something that has happened overnight?

what bedding are you using in the coop?

FlorenceMarina

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 15:53 »
no they seemed ok yesterday however one of them seemed to be yawning or something that looked like that but I just assumed it was stress from being moved around. I'm using straw that was given to me by a friend that has chickens.

splash101

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 16:18 »
Do you know if they have been wormed recently with fubenvet? if not its maybe worthwhile doing them.
It could be a respiratory illness, i have no experience with respiratory problems but someone will be along soon with some advice.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 16:44 »
Hopefully you have got them quarantined from any other birds? This sounds like a respiratory problem and they will need anti biotics from the vet, they could also have gapeworm so will need to be wormed. It's not a good idea to put straw in with hens as it can harbour all sorts of unwelcome insects, also if they eat any of it it can impact in their crop. Check them over carefully for lice, especially around the vent area, (where the eggs come out). Let us know how you get on.

FlorenceMarina

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 17:02 »
Thanks for the replies! I don't know when they were last wormed so I'll go and get some worming things as soon as I can. Their noses aren't as runny as they were earlier and their breathing isn't raspy + their being a bit more active. I will take their straw out of their coop but leave it in their nesting boxes or take it out of there too? How do I check them for lice and do they look like normal lice or fleas that you get on dogs? Sorry about all the questions!

FlorenceMarina

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 17:06 »
Just spoke to a friend and they said it could be fumes coming of the wood varnish that's giving them runny noses. This could be a reason as it has been hot and it is a brand new coop and it does smell quite strong... what so you think?

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 22:11 »
It's unlikely to be the fumes, if they were bothered by them they wouldn't want to go in the coop. Take out all the straw, they should just have something like dust free wood shavings in there. To check for lice tuck them under one arm with their bum facing forward, or better still get someone else to hold the hen. Part the feathers down to the base and look for any creepy crawlies on their skin, and any eggs which may be stuck to the base of the feathers, particularly around the vent area. I hope they recover well for you.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 18:37 »
Agree with the toad, it sounds like an infection which will need antibiotics.
here's a link for info about mycoplasma  http://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/mycoplasma
Good luck

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 10:25 »
Where did you buy them from?

Did you get a chance to look at the other hens at the farm/place?

Let the seller know that your hens are sick.  Any reputable seller will take them back.

xx
hmmmph what's wrong with my chickens?

Started by newhen on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 25, 2009, 15:28
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Stiff chickens after killing! whats going wrong!!

Started by splat farm on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 22:25
by GrannieAnnie
xx
What are we doing wrong?

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 21:25
by Aunt Sally
xx
is something wrong?

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 08:22
by k4t1e195

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 36 queries.