Allotment before work

• 28 Replies

caroline800

Re: Allotment before work
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 13:25 »
My son does swimming training three early mornings a week (5 am - 7 am  :wacko:) so I try to get down on a couple of those.  Very peaceful, but can't do the noisy jobs like rotovating!! ::)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 13:32 »
As long as it is light enough, around 6 - 6:30 is a great time of the day to get some watering done especially of thirsty things like hanging basket tomatoes. Its also a good time of day to go slug hunting. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

archibtbm

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 14:22 »
2 days a week i'll pop down about 06:30 ish for an hour to water greenhouse  or weed in the summer.  Don't make it down in the winter as it's too cold :ohmy:

beaker141

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 21:41 »
Thanks guys - I think I'll try giving it a go, although I just know the alarm would sound and I'd think, not today !

Great point from Runwell-Steve about wasting hours with rubbish on tv when its dark.

digalotty

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 22:21 »
at the minuite im getting up at 5.30 to be at work for 7.00 so i wont be visiting till the lighter nights after work and weekends of course ,  but when im off and i take the nipper to school i do like to go straight to the plotand get some quality time to myself
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 22:25 »
In the days I was working I was on rotating shifts, which was quite handy.

If I started at 3.00 p.m., I had the morning, if I started at 7.00 a.m. I had the evening, if I started at 7.00 p.m. I had the middle of the day.

Night shift was a real oddity as I never could sleep well in the daytime. In bed about 7.30 a.m., up at 11.00 a.m. & down the plot, tea about 5.00 p.m. and then the second half of me kip!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 22:31 »
All this talk of allotmenteering before work is making me envious,there's only a few weeks in the year when I get to leave home for work in daylight.
Weekends are a different matter though,I can't sleep any longer than weekdays so I'm champing at the bit as soon as its light.

sarajane

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 23:24 »
Its not that I don't get up early but I have the dog to walk and chooks to see to in the morning. By afternoon though, especially as the days get longer, all I can think of is going home.  Just the thought of getting onto the allotment sees me through the afternoon and  -  oooh  -  what a stress reliever at the end of a busy day, to sow or hoe or even if its raining just to walk onto the garden and see the work that has been achieved.  Give me the evenings any day.

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 00:20 »
Not a chance in hell of me ever going before work. Im up at 6 for work as it is. Sleep at that time is far more important than wrking at that hr.
Woooooooooooooo

Will1983

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 08:50 »
im the same im up at 6:30 to be at work for 7:30, mind you i try to go in the evenings when its still light.

the weekends are a different story though i drop my girlfriend off for the bus to work at 7 so im normally on the plot at 7:10, its a great time of the day to get stuff done as theres noone to distract you/chat to/other peoples work to admire etc...

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 08:57 »
i often go before work, but i don't start work till 4pm so i don't suppose that counts does it! :lol:

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 20:31 »
if i went beofre work i would get all involved and have to call in sick so i could spend more time down there!  :tongue2:
I like to go down after work if i can so i can think about the treat at the end of the day! Mind you with only working Weds, thurs, and fri i also have a 4 day weekend i can (try to)use to full advantage.
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 22:00 »
Great discussion.

I don't have a lotty my veg plot is in the garden. Sometimes I can't sleep right through to  the alarm, so I think I might potter in garden if I'm getting up extra early once the light is good enough.

The only problem is losing track of time and suddenly realising i should have been at work an hour ago !!  :lol:

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 22:44 »
I may have to start going to the plot before work for watering etc in the warmer months as I managed to kill off all my tomato plants last year by cooking them in the greenhouse, which was a real waste of all the sowing and potting on time .... but practically speaking, everytime I go to the plot, I get filthy.  I don't know if I could resist kneeling down in the mud and hand weeding and then being all muddy for work ??? :(

xx
Just got an allotment. It needs a lot of work, but what can I sow now?

Started by stee1e on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 19, 2015, 08:37
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Starting Work At The Allotment

Started by TheChilliMan on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 19:20
by fibilou
xx
new allotment back breaking work

Started by foxydan on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 07:20
by foxydan
xx
new allotment 1st days work today

Started by spudtastic on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 14:29
by randombod

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 38 queries.