Re: Onions from seed - for 2020

• 125 Replies

jambop

« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2020, 14:43 »
Here are a few of mine some Sturon, magnificent long de Florence and some Golden bear. If Long Florence stored I would probably just buy one packet of seeds each year these were grown Charles Dowding style four or five seeds per 30mm module then a few taken as  spring onions the others grown on further taking the odd one for the kitchen. We have been eating them as spring onions then as green onions in the kitchen since beginning of July and now the are ready to lift those few were just lifted. I have some decent shallot too but not from seeds. Anyway back to lift the rest of them to get them fully dried out for storing.
DSCN4099.JPG

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2020, 10:07 »
Not a bad crop, what they lack in size they have made up for in quality as last few years I have had white rot, only lost a few to it this year. Did not give them much water during the dry spells which might explain both.
Shallots have not enjoyed the weather and are also smaller than useual.
onions.png

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2020, 19:34 »
My Isobel Rose crop.  These were module sown with a few seeds per cell and planted out in clumps fairly late.  At the end of May they looked like weedy chives.

Given all that, not a bad crop and I am thinking of making picked onions with the small ones.  I have a plan.  I'll use white vinegar to show off the colour and stash them away for the festive season :D
IMG_3834 (1024x768).jpg

AnneB

« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2020, 14:29 »
My onions weren't too bad.  The Isobel Rose didn't get to a huge size, but adequate and taste was good. Red Brunswick reliable as ever.
Batun were very good as a spring onion.

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2020, 13:04 »
I have been quite counter-cultural and sown onion seed in a greenhouse in September and planted them out largely under cloches and a cold frame.   Has anyone tried this before and failed?   Why is this which appears to mimic natural propagation not mainstream?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2020, 14:30 »
So I have a plan :blush:
Not the best year this year, lost many early on so....
I have recenetly read you can sow Bedfordshire Champion late August/ September, well its late enough I reckon.
I plan on growing on in beds in the greenhouse over winter and transplant spring next year. Hopefully a good crop that maybe ready a tad earlier so when lifted I can then get the bed ready for me winter carrots as I grow the little ones, I have 4 rows of them in now to see how big they get.
Any ways 112 onion seeds are now prechitting

Aidy is trying this out and has already posted on this thread about it  :)

I guess it depends whether you can offer a protected enough space to get them through the winter and whether it proves to be worth it.  Time will tell on that one.

xx
Potato Days & Seed Fairs 2020

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2020, 08:51
by cssg mick
clip
onions from seed.. my way

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2018, 10:32
by jambop
xx
onions from seed

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 22:22
by gobs
xx
Onions from seed?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 15, 2017, 11:12
by New shoot

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 45 queries.