Potato storage

• 2 Replies

zestymordant

Potato storage
« on: August 23, 2012, 07:40 »
Well my plants got blight but I chopped the tops off the next day and managed to dig out the potatoes from a row of four potato plants. There was enough for mash for a meal and no blight in sight, which was good. Lots of slug damage though which was pretty annoying seeing as I dumped a load of nematodes in the soil when they'd been in the ground 14 weeks (nematodes only got three weeks of use so far due to blight). Maybe I should put some nematodes in earlier too, or is it my heavy clay soil stopping them getting deeper?

Anyway, the question is potato storage. I have a small house, nowhere to store potatoes really. Generally a bag gets stored under the sink, which is pretty dumb now I know more about potatoes but still unsure where to store the ones I will have to pull up in the next couple of weeks.

I have a shed on the allotment, is storing in a box in  a shed the best bet I have? There is a window that could let a lot of heat in on a hot day though, although it's only September really I expect they'd have to get through unless October turns out to be boiling hot.

Cheers all

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Potato storage
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 07:48 »
A shed should be OK as long as it is dry and you can guarantee it frost free if long term storage is required.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Mrs Bee

Re: Potato storage
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:22 »
We kept ours in our utility/ garage last year and had problems with mice and rats which were ignoring the traps and bait and going straight for the spuds and apples.

I wonder if you store your spuds in boxes in a shed whether you might get rodent problems. Little blighters, rats,  can smell food from 2 miles away apparently :ohmy:

We sorted our problem by getting an aluminium dustbin drilling airholes in the base and sides, putting the bin on some bricks for the airflow and then put the spuds in canvas and paper sacks in the bin. It worked well.

Then the rodents took the bait and we scuppered them as well. :D

xx
potato storage

Started by rosiecider on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2014, 16:52
by rosiecider
xx
Potato storage help

Started by Hectare on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post January 13, 2010, 17:40
by Trillium
question
How much storage?

Started by Goldfinger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 05:49
by Goldfinger
xx
Storage

Started by Tykelad on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 19:24
by lincolnlad

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 34 queries.